What a Day!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 5dollarEdunote, Mar 13, 2011.

1. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

Hello collectors,

Prepare for my long story, because Im pretty bad at writing these.

When I was in the age range of 7-10 (I honestly cant remember) and my focus in life was pirates, I buried a small treasure chest with a whole random assortment of things, which until today I had forgotten about.

Now Im 14, and a couple days ago out of boredom and a little motivation I decided to dig a small tunnel in my backyard. It was something I'd wanted to do for a while so I dug every day for about 2 hours, and got pretty deep (about 3 feet). I did remember about the treasure chest, which gave me a little extra motivation even though there was a 50/50 chance I had already dug the chest up, but did not remember doing so.

All of this leads to today. I was working on expanding the hole to increase mobility, when I discovered a piece of decaying plastic on the side of the hole. I almost instantly realized what this was and quickly dug it out. I know I should of taken pictures of the chest in the hole, but I was way to excited.
    CHEST.jpg

I took the tape, string, and plastic wrap off of the chest, and opened it.

Here are the "spoils"

SPOILS.jpg
    A polished stone, vial of flake gold, wooden pirate statue, 2 clad Kennedy's, a 1964 Kennedy, and a semi-nice ring I remember feeling very guilty about burying (not pictured, as it is my moms so I gave it back to her)
    CLAD.jpg SILVER.jpg
    It appears like the clad halves which laid on the silver half transferred rust onto it. Also, out of excitement I rubbed the coin to see what date it was and unfortunately in the process gave it a few scratches.

This is not nearly as exciting as finding a coin purse full of 1800's coins (Youtube video reference) but still enough to make your day

Thanks for reading!

P.S. I know this is a weird turn from the normal things you talk about in this forum, but since there were some Kennedy's in there I figured why not share the story.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

pretty cool!

4. onejinx

onejinx Junior Member

Thats wicked awesome

Hopefully your parents don't kill you for digging up the backyard.

5. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

We currently have a really weedy, junky backyard. We plan to renovate it sometime soon, but until then Im free to dig wherever I want

6. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

Outstanding story, I enjoyed reading it and Welcome to CoinTalk!

7. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Hey 5dollar, who doesn't like a story about buried treasure? I'm always digging around in my yard landscaping and stuff, but never found anything but junk. You never know though.

Bruce

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Every once in a while I wonder if I should do a little digging around our yard. At least one of the people who lived here before us was a bit of a hoarder -- when we were taking down the tacky drapes after we moved in, a pair of $20's fell out of one. :)

The best finds are the ones you forgot you'd hidden. Congrats!

9. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

If you like digging so much you should invest in a metal detector :)

10. G-man422

G-man422 Member

Awesome story 5dollar! Thanks for sharing.

11. Camreno

Camreno Active Member

You must have been thinking dollar, did you mean 5 stars? :p

12. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

13. dctjr80

dctjr80 Senior Member

I would have to agree!:thumb:

14. EvilKidsMeal

EvilKidsMeal New Member

Look at his name ;)

To the OP that is pretty awesome. I wish I would have thought of something like that when I was younger. All I've ever found in my backyard are old green army men. Not too exciting. haha

Draft saved Draft deleted