What a big difference a little rotation makes.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Theodosius, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I photographed this Phillip II tetradrachm long ago and pasted up the obverse and reverse like so:

upload_2021-2-6_10-7-10.png

I always thought the coin looked kind of goofy and unattractive, when it is really a pretty decent coin. It hit me recently that the obverse was rotated incorrectly like Philip was looking down, maybe hoping to spot a dropped coin? A little rotation and now it looks much better, but maybe I went a little too far? It helps to cover up one picture while looking at the other, at least for me they both look wrong when looking at them at the same time. The second one looks "right" to me when looking at it by itself.

upload_2021-2-6_10-8-43.png

Is there some rule of thumb for how to align the bust of a person on coin?

I think this was less than 10 degrees of rotation but it makes a big difference.

What say you?

John

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I have no idea but I always try to make the neck line level which makes the bust usually look slightly upward. I always too wondered how they should be rotated. I think the die axis would also give a hint.
    20210206_084307.jpg

svessien, ominus1, Curtisimo and 5 others like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Agreed! Looking more upward seems to add more character to the bust. Nice

BTW, super Tet, John! It is great.

Mine is a little more "head-on" look, but seems to befit a "challenging look" of a King on my coin.

upload_2021-2-6_9-59-28.png
    Makedon Philip II Tet Pella LIFETIME 353-349 Zeus Horse star spearhd Le Rider 102

svessien, ominus1, Curtisimo and 5 others like this.
  5. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

A like to have the chin up a little. Adds a little cockiness to the portrait, lol.
    Never downward. Look like a weakling manlet that way.
    virginwealk.jpeg

ominus1 and Theodosius like this.
  6. Theodosius

I think people agree the portrait needs to look "natural" and maybe a little "cocky" too for a male King or hero.

Once I noticed how wrong the original photo looked I have been on the lookout for this in my other photos.

Looking at the same coin on acsearch there are a slight variety of angles used, but most at least look ok.

John

Alegandron and Evan Saltis like this.
  7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I think a good rule of thumb is not to make Zeus stare directly at a horse's butt. :D

I suspect it would also help to light the portrait from the front rather than the back, when you get a chance to re-photograph it. Great coin though!!

Seller's photo, lit from the back:
    Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 11.03.28 AM.jpg
    I still need to take my own photo, lit from the front to see if it looks better.

zumbly, Johndakerftw, Bing and 3 others like this.
  8. Theodosius

Right on both counts! Not looking at the horse's butt and lighting from the front make perfect sense. :joyful::joyful::joyful:

I need to retrieve this from the bank.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL! Yeah, looking a Gift Horse in the mouth is MUCH better!

I am REALLY glad my Tet is a RIGHT-LEFT orientation!

Severus Alexander and Theodosius like this.
  10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...ahaha....idk, i like both pics but beautys in the eye..:)

Theodosius likes this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin and I prefer the upward slant. Not quite a Constantine eyes-to-heaven thing but a little more impressive.

Theodosius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted