What a beautiful coin. 1954 S One Cent

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by RachelRuth, Jan 17, 2018.

1. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

This is such a gorgeous coin, especially considering it came from a bank roll. Anyone see anything worth noting on it? I absolutely love the color and it almost looks as if it's got some (very little) doubled areas in it.

Thanks and goodnight!
    Rachel

Attached Files:

calishield and TexAg like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

A picture of the Obverse side would be nice.

NOS likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't see any doubling. Do you have an obverse image?

5. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

Sorry, it didn't upload all the pictures. Here ya go.

Rachel

Attached Files:

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

A bit of a Misaligned Die Strike on the Obverse
    Some evidence of Indirect Image Transfer on the Reverse
    Some circulation wear here and there.

I am no grader so I can't give you one :watching:

7. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

The coin looks like it might have a little wear on Lincoln's face, so at most, it would grade AU58. Might be less.

No doubling that counts. It shows a little at the We in the motto, but that is not counted as collectible because it is a master die issue that started in 1918 and continued because the same master die was used to create all the obverses between then and the 1960s. One of the odd cases where a doubled die is worth zilch, because it is a universal effect, and not much of one.

352sdeer likes this.
  8. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Beautiful wheatie, and found in a roll no less!

9. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Is it that yellow or is it just the lighting?

10. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

I'll take some pictures in natural lighting now that the Suns up. The reason all pictures didn't upload is because I fell asleep during the post lol. It does look like it's gold toned. That's what I like the most about it is the toning.

TexAg likes this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

12. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

So, this is the best I can do at the moment with pictures. I have a 2 yr old so I don't get much spare time during the day.

Rachel

Attached Files:

TexAg likes this.
  13. Kasia

@RachelRuth here is one of your photos and I marked it in red. The rectangles (give or take) are where 'wear' generally is going to start on a coin like this, and I think I see some. That means that if there is wear there or elsewhere then it is not 'uncirculated' (minimum grade MS60) anymore. Wear can also occur other places, and the ovals can be places where they start to show as well. You would be looking for a change in color or where it looks like the images are not as sharp as they should be. From the pic I don't see too much wear, but it is certainly possible this is what I am seeing here. That is why I said before that likely it is tops an AU58 (the most you can get before a MS60).

PicsArt_01-17-01.04.39.png

14. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

I agree with Kasia and feel the coin is a AU as it exhibits classic friction wear as Kasia points out

15. Kasia

Just to be clear. It did not have to get handled very much or in a bad way to get here. It simply had to have been handled a little or put in a way that it could rub against something. That is why uncirculated is not a grade based on no handling or not being in circulation at all, but is based on evidence of 'wear', which is essentially either metal being rubbed down or simply loss of surface metal in handling. The moment that you can definitely see that is when it becomes an AU, though some people like to pretend they don't see it or it is so light that it is not clear if it truly has happened yet. On your coin, it seems it has.

There is no definitive way I know of to say how much 'handling' or movement a coin has to make against a table top/other coin/other place or against other coins in change drawers or wherever to get to the point it becomes apparent. But many coins you can pull from circulation are actually considered 'uncirculated'. This one may have been pulled by someone at that point and saved. Otherwise it certainly by now would have been much worse. Sometimes these coins which were saved in years past are put back in circulation, which is why you might find one in a bank roll. It would likely either be done by someone who no longer collects and doesn't see the point in trying to sell it or by someone else who came across it and put it in there, not knowing or caring if it had value.

352sdeer likes this.
  16. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

Oh, I'm not arguing at all about any grading, I'm just impressed with the way it looks from a bank roll. It's really impressive to me considering the age.

Rachel

17. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Yes it is an exceptional specimen to find in the wild for sure. Your coin just shows wear with slight kiss marks. (What I call fiction wear to the cheek and jawline). Nice coin! Reed

Kasia likes this.
  18. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

Very good explanation Kasia. Thank you.

Rachel

Draft saved Draft deleted