What 60.00 buys

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I picked this up at the same coin show where I got the Caesar elephant. I was on my way out the door when a dealer friend of mine told me it was his birthday. He then said "have you seen my Brutus denarius?" He showed it to me I asked for his best price and it turned out to be around 60.00 USD.

Now, I ask you, how could I refuse a Brutus denarius for 60.00 on the dealer's birthday? Obviously I could not. I already had one of these, but I could not resist.

Please post your serendipitous bargains.

brutus denarius 2.jpg

Here is the one I already had

Brutus new.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Nice looking coin!

Orfew likes this.
  4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

What a steal, absolute bargain.

Orfew likes this.
  5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Fantastic find and deal! I like the juxtaposition of the apparent grin on the "new" Brutus vs the frowning grimace on that old beauty of yours:):grumpy:

ominus1, benhur767 and Orfew like this.
  6. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Great coin Orfew - and at a wonderful price. I could not have resisted that deal either (who would?)!!

While not in the same universe as your coin I did have things go my way on a couple of occasions:
    I put a small bid on this Crispus coin of only $8... the idea was to remind myself to check back later and see what was happening with it nearer the end of the auction. Well that didn't work as I forgot about it - but somehow it ended up as high bid.
    I was really happy as I loved the portrait .. he looks a little sly to me.. maybe he was after Dad's job after all? :

CrispusMERGE.jpg
    RIC vol VII Aquileia 106 R1
    322 AD
    Obv: CRISPVS NOB CAES, bust r.
    Rev: CAESARVM NOSTRORVM around wreath containing VOT X
    Size: 18.95 mm
    Weight: 2.8 grams

I was at a small coin show (almost exclusively moderns) .. I found a book of LRBs at a dealer's table as he was packing up to go.. he was in a rush and just said "3 for $10 if you hurry". I was happy to oblige and grab this in my 3 coin lot ... $3.33 for a Centaur ain't bad!

GallienusCentaurMERGE.jpg

7. Orfew

8. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I almost didn't click on this because I figured I'd see a deal that made me jealous. Should've taken my own advice.

9. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

I need to know who your dealer friend is! Or do I know him already? :)

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A great steal indeed, lucky!

11. Orfew

It was Gary.:)

12. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

13. That seems a bargain! What did you pay for your first one, if you don't mind me asking - looks lovely!

14. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Nice Bruti, @Orfew !

Not as serendipitous, or as big a bargain @ $81, as a birthday Brutus - the happy surprise was the interesting die clash error which you can see in the photo on the obverse with the "S" (from Reverse "CORDIVS") on the border of dots and the M and part of Minerva's Aegis also visible in the photo. I didn't notice it until weeks after purchasing, distracted by Medusa's head.

Mn. Cordius Rufus, AR denarius, (3.9g) c. 46 BC
    Obv: RVFVS Corinthian helmet with crest, owl standing above / MN CORDIVS
    Rev: Aegis of Minerva, head of Medusa at center

Cordia 4; Syd. 978; C463/2

IMG_0148.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  15. Orfew

The first one was also a good price though not as much of a bargain as the second one. The first one cost me 225 Euro.

Gary R. Wilson and Cucumbor like this.
  16. Orfew

A wonderful coin and I would gladly pay that price. in fact I have looked at this type a few times in the last few weeks. I find it a very attractive type. Maybe I will add one soon.

17. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

That's amazing. Wish I had one of my own to post... sometime soon hopefully. :yack:

18. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

@Orfew, should you intend organizing a new giveaway to an old collector and abroad (for a change), I'm your man :D

That's a bargain
    And the first one you got, in this state of preservation is a bargain too, just sayin'

Q

Orfew likes this.
  19. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Q beat me to it but I think you got a great deal on both.

Orfew likes this.
  20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I was mislead by the word “buys” in the subject title. This one’s a steal, plain and simple. I wouldn’t have had been able to it behind either. Congrats!

TIF and Orfew like this.
  21. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Wow, that is a GREAT deal! I got this nice Parthian drachm for a pretty stellar price, but I don't remember exactly what I payed for it!

Capture.JPG

Kings of Parthia, Vologases III (105-147 AD), AR Drachm
    O: Diademed and bearded bust l., R: King enthroned r., holding bow and arrow at r., monogr, Greek legend. Ecbatana mint. Sellwood 78.5. 20 mm, 3.8 g

Ed Snible, Sulla80, randygeki and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted