What’s up with this dime? Coin Return Party!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dan Galbato, Jun 16, 2024.

1. Dan Galbato

Dan Galbato Well-Known Member

My favorite person came to visit today and she had with her a large envelope full of bank rejects for me to enjoy. I get an envelope once a week if lucky but today was different. They did a complete breakdown of the change return and pulled out a bunch of rejects stuck in the duct work of the machine! Banazza! They were nasty and I had to soak the lot in hot soapy water just to get the gum and mung off the coins! lol.. all in all I pulled in $21.58 in us qts, dimes, nickels and cent coins. There was even a nice 1997 Kennedy in the pile. After cleaning and rinsing and drying, I was able to check out the coins the bank was ready to chuck in the trash. Can’t believe they do this? The coins that stood out were put aside and hopefully I can get some answers here? The coins in qouestion are;.
    1 brass or bronze coin with a square hole? Japan, China?
    2 a dime with a thickness of a nickel but smaller then a cent? Someone has messed with this? Why?
    3 one 1928 and one 1938 ten cent coins from the Netherlands?
    4 one 5 PTAS coin?
    5 several Canada coins, dimes, quarters.
    6 several coins that are worn down almost paper thin!
    7 one smooth copper coin the was dragged under a bus. I couldn’t make out what it was until I saw one of my photos. I believe it’s a Jefferson nickel? Nothing is valuable but what I think interesting. Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated! Tks IMG_2872.jpeg IMG_2880.jpeg

Attached Files:

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I think the thick dime has been "spooned." The two Netherlands coins are .640 silver so there's a little bit of value there.

paddyman98 and Dan Galbato like this.
  4. Dan Galbato

Hey Sal, that pile of washing machine coins is starting to grow! I haven’t forgotten! Lol

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  5. Dan Galbato

Spooned! I’ve heard the terminology before but didn’t know what it was. What’s the reasoning behind it? As for the silver coins, I seam to find them occasionally mixed in with the rejects. Someday I’ll offer them as a bulk lot to someone or swap or trade them. Thank you.

Kentucky and SensibleSal66 like this.
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

WoW! I hope you bought the bank employees Donuts. LOL
    Also, Spooning can be accomplished a couple of ways. Intentionally and Unintentionally.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  7. Dan Galbato

No donuts from me! I’ll just send her the money one of these days. She can use it more than me. I love getting these rejects weekly so why not keep the help happy! It’s become my favorite pass time now that I’m not driving anymore, something to look forward too. Actually, I’m in it for the small treasures I find once in a while looking through the beechnut and crud.
    So, what’s behind the spooning thing? I could see it was pmd and nothing else. The edge reeds are all worn down..

8. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

That's a nice thought about sending her the money!
    Spooning like I said, can be done with the tapping of the rim with a spoon or small hammer. Also, theory has it that it can be accomplished in a dryer. Story has it that soldiers bored at times did this to make a ring for a loved one, believe it or not.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  9. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

The Asian coin is supposed to be a Chinese 1 Cash coin, but it's just a modern reproduction.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  10. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

You can make a ring out of a coin by spooning it. There are videos showing the process. I think prisoners also did it - there is a short scene in the movie Cool Hand Luke showing a coin being spooned. Seems like a dime is too small to make a ring though.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

https://www.tiktok.com/@jacobdurrence/video/7047910059766074630

Dan Galbato likes this.
  12. Dan Galbato

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Dan Galbato

K , I have to agree with you about the dime being too small. The receded edge is gone and all that remains is a smooth surface with more copper showing and paper thin outer layer of silver on both sides. It’s not even silver if I’m correct. Lol

14. Dan Galbato

Thank you! Just an interesting piece and it was a free reject. Slabbed and tucked away! Never to see daylight again! Lol

Mr. Numismatist likes this.
  15. Dan Galbato

I believe you! lol the guy using a silver dollar must have had a huge wife!

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Spooning in a term that is used when a spoon is banged against the edge of a coin in order to make it wider. The idea is that once it’s wide enough, one can drill out the center and now you have a ring.

Dan Galbato likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted