What’s Up with the 2021 d Morgan Silver dollars

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dan Galbato, Dec 2, 2023.

1. Dan Galbato

Dan Galbato Well-Known Member

IMG_2471.jpeg I’ve been looking to buy a 2021 D ms70 silver dollar but the price seems to increase each time I look! First year? Low numbers? $1895 for $25 worth of silver seems a bit outragous but help me understand!
    I thought these prices would come down in time? lol! Even the 2023s are climbing? View attachment 1590086

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robec

robec Junior Member

Of all the Silver dollars (both Peace and Morgan), the Denver mint produced the one with the most problems. The Denver Morgan was plagued with a variety of issues, including strike throughs, scratches and other miscellaneous distractions. Because of all these problems the Denver Morgan produced the fewest MS70’s of all 2021 Morgan and Peace Dollars from all mints. The premium drops dramatically from MS69 on down.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  4. Dan Galbato

Thanks Rob. So basically Denver pumped out junk and finding coins worthy of an ms70 grade is the reason for the astronomical prices. At the rate these coins are climbing, one would expect the same coin to be worth 10kplus in a few more years. The Cc, the O, and the S are also tagging along in price but climbing as well?

Tall Paul and robec like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just not worth that price. I’d rather spend the money on a gold coin or the key or a semi key Morgan.

6. robec

robec Junior Member

I’m not surprised these are going for more of a premium than the privy’s, S or Philly, but I sure didn’t expect this much of one. The population of 70’s for the D mint is about 2/3 of what the others are. At the same time the D mint has more 69’s than the others, and it’s not even close.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  7. Dan Galbato

Nut, I agree. As a collector you buy what you like and enjoy. As a gambling man or an investor, looking at the key dates over the past 200 years, one has to ask, is 2021 one of those dates?
    the 69 Ds are running a little less then the privy’s, the S and the Ps right now. Next yr, your guess is as good as mine where the numbers will be. To be a collector or an investor is the question! lol

robec likes this.
  8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It is a supply and demand issue. The Denver issues were more problematic than the others. There are an artificially created demand for MS 70 2021 D coins. Realistically, they’re way overpriced. I skipped the 2021 issues from all mints, as to me, they are not real Morgan series, but undeclared commemorative coins, anyway. There were also major quality control issues in 2021, and as such, the coins are still being gouged by sellers. I got all the 2023 coins, Philadelphia and San Francisco. That is it, for me and the “new Morgan” coins. I would rather have high grade real Morgans.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  9. Dan Galbato

Yes, good points! I just finished reading how these new Morgan's and Peace coins are made with only .7753 percent silver. If you melt them down you only get 2/3rds of an oz. Then again, ppl are not buying these for silver contant. Lol! Some folks have too much money and some folks are happy to take it from them!

10. Collecting Nut

I don’t think so. I also won’t be around in 200 years. I also think based on what I have witnessed in the recent past, it all hype and it will drop. It may go up first but the price is out of most collectors range.

Morgandude11 and Dan Galbato like this.
  11. Dan Galbato

Nut, I’m not sure if 2021 D will be a key date in the future but it should go down as one of the most expensive coins sold to the public in coin collecting history and in its short existance. Maybe there are other example over the years that got as much attention but I don’t know of any. 200 years! Com on man! Don’t be so negative! lol

Collecting Nut likes this.
  12. Dan Galbato

I plan on being around in 200 years! Most likely in an urn or mayo jar!

Tall Paul likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Not negative, just realistic. LOL

It might be an expensive modern coin but I have several that make the 2021-D Morgan look like pocket change. Add I do a lot of other CT members. ;):)

Dan Galbato likes this.
  14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'd think twice about anything you read from that source. o_O

All the Mint's silver coins since 2019 are being struck from .999 silver, even the ones that were previously struck from 90%. Since the coin weights haven't changed, that means each of these 2021 silver dollars contains more silver than a classic Morgan or Peace dollar.

But none of those dollars ever contained a full ounce of silver. Classic Morgan and Peace dollars weighed 0.859 troy oz, and contained 0.7734 troy oz of silver. The new ones still weigh 0.859 troy oz, but contain 0.858 troy oz of silver.

And, as you say, people aren't buying these for the silver content. :)

LakeEffect and Dan Galbato like this.
  15. Dan Galbato

Jeff, knowing I’m not being short changed on the silver content is a relief! lol! I’m impressed with the fact you knew where I read about the silver content! Not much gets by around here!

16. Dan Galbato

Nut, I’m sure there are many who have expensive higher rate coins and that’s fine. My point is how many collectors had to spend $1850+ for a fairly new, nothing special, silver coin? Paying for an older high grade coin is understandable.

17. Collecting Nut

That I have no idea because personally, I’d never do that. Go with what history and proven itself. It’s more fun and much more rewarding.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  18. -jeffB

Oh, I have no idea where you read about it! (But now I'm curious...) If they were this wrong on this topic, they're probably not very trustworthy on others.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  19. Dan Galbato

jeff I read it at moneymetals.com
    Rare coins ripoffs to avoid. Morgan silver dollars.
    It seems there are many out there who agree with this belief.

20. -jeffB

Okay, the information in that infographic/article is actually accurate (if a bit incomplete).

As best I can tell, it's only talking about actual Morgan and Peace dollars (i.e. pre-1936).

Yes, Morgan (and Peace) dollars contain just over 3/4 troy ounce of actual silver.

Yes, some sellers may try to gloss over that in their sales pitches.

But because (original) Morgan dollars (and to a lesser extent Peace dollars) are so popular with collectors, they trade at a premium. You'll have to pay more than "spot silver value" to get them, but you should get more when you sell them, too.

The real ripoff, in my opinion, is dealers who make lowball buy offers by saying "aw, these old things contain barely 3/4 oz of silver each, best I can do is (some lowball number)." Because that dealer will never sell them based on silver content. Any dealer would be a fool to do so, because any dealer can find any number of buyers at the higher numismatic price.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    Dan Galbato likes this.
  21. Collecting Nut

Aren’t those silver dollars containing .7734 ounces of silver?

Dan Galbato likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted