What’s the truth about the 1982 Small Date penny?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by WendyGH, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I get it in other hobbies too that I deal with. People buy a musical instrument for $50 at a flee market and then ask if it's a high priced professional instrument that simply doesn't have a makers emblem on it … then get upset when I say it's probably worth about $50.

Pawstruck likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pawstruck

Pawstruck CoinTalk Survivor

Yes, I've noticed the hit and run posters. It's too bad because they're really cheating themselves--sort of rude, too. :) Maybe someone should write a coin etiquette book (like the section in Cherry Picker's Guide)...lol.

Discovering a rare coin is even sweeter when you confirm most of the details yourself. One of the reasons I posted the 2005 Lincoln was that it's a pretty flawless modern, so I was curious as to what PCGS might say about it--thought someone here might have been a grader. (Wish I had a better microscope though, the pictures I posted are LED bright and taken at a much higher magnification than 5x.)

Just finished watching some of PCGS's videos, so now I have a better idea of how it would grade. I'm pretty sure it would be on the high end--but again--a lot of them are in 2005. Tricky world, coins...just love it. :)

4. Pawstruck

Honesty is so unappreciated these days. :)

5. Pawstruck

Actually the 1982 SD Zinc DDR could be pricey if you find one in a higher MS--only one graded by PCGS is at AU55. http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/zinc_1982_cent_host_to_new_doubled_die

6. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

Because people deserve to know the truth, not what some YouTube video promises.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

As much as I agree regarding YouTube, you're needlessly conflating two issues not necessarily connected. After all the OP did state she learned of this not from YouTube but from reading an online "article".

It's one thing to advise someone to avoid the nauseatingly misleading clickbait crap and/or inform them of the odds against finding such a coin, but something else altogether to directly tell them not to partake in something they may enjoy. One's hobby is what they make of it and if that means searching for ghosts, as long as they understand the odds there's nothing wrong with it. In this case the OP also did just that.

Martha Lynn and l.cutler like this.
  8. Jessica Wooduff

Jessica Wooduff New Member

9. Queen Mystique

Queen Mystique New Member

I have a 1982 no mintmark small but no scale and it has golden stuff in from and back. Does that take from value? I want to say it’s zinc... looking for scale now. Don’t see where i can post pictures?

10. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

You can create your OWN thread.

Use the UPLOAD A FILE button right next to the POST REPLY button so you can upload images of your cent.

if it's zinc, it's worth 1 cent.
    no mint mark is simply a Philadelphia cent. Philadelphia, which ironically was the First US MINT, at that time did not need to use a mint mark, because there was no reason to. And it continues today ....

Draft saved Draft deleted