What’s the truth about the 1982 Small Date penny?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by WendyGH, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There are other off metal cents besides the 1982-D small date copper.
    1983-D and 1989-D and some others.
    (Not including the 1943 copper and 1944 steel.)

Coinneseur and alice Z like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alice Z

alice Z Member

Thank you for the information. Have a great day.

Michael K likes this.
  4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Don't forget the holiest of Holy Grails, the 1974 aluminum Cent!

5. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

The best thing to do is to learn to know the look and feel of a copper vs zincoln. The weight is slight but sometimes as you handle them your mind automatically feels that the copper one is heavier, even knowing that it is only about 1/2gram difference. Then also, zincolns have a different look to them many times. Basically put it in your mind that any cent after 1982 could be on a wrong planchet and it will be rare. For the 1982's it needs to be the wrong planchet for the Denver minted Small Date.

Pawstruck, Coinneseur and alice Z like this.
  6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Wasn't that last 1974 aluminum confiscated?
    I think they are not legal coins.

7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I've got a bunch of nickels in cannisters here.

But I don't have any nickles; wonder if @paddyman98 knows those?. Is that some fruit relative of a pickle ?

furryfrog02 likes this.
  8. alice Z

alice Z Member

Thank you I wrote all the information down and will search for some more information online. Thanks again. :)

Pawstruck likes this.
  9. Pawstruck

Pawstruck CoinTalk Survivor

10. Pawstruck

11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I think there are more, and I'm sure a few more will be found, but 6 billion cents is a lot to look through.

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If someone enjoys the search, who are we to tell them not to bother? The chances of finding one is infinitesimal, but if someone wants to give it a try there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. The only way I can see this being an issue is if they expected the board to identify the duds for them (think those who've started a dozen or more threads asking if they've found a 69-D DDO).

alice Z, Oldhoopster and Pawstruck like this.
  13. Pawstruck

True, searching is fun and so is doing the research. It's hard to be a thinker though...much easier to ask someone else to do the thinking. :)

14. Clawcoins

Pawstruck likes this.
  15. Pawstruck

That's the hard part--when you want something so badly you can't see what you have.

16. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Do you also see the winning Powerball numbers when you look a your $2 quick pick?

17. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Yes, I do, but the clerk at the store always bursts that bubble for me.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  18. Clawcoins

I don't really understand that mentally.
    Does one do that in everything they come across?
    Do they check everything as in silverware, plates, rare tupperware, etc etc ?
    or do they think that pocket change is going to be worth far more than what they paid for it ? And then, what drives them to think that or particular things are worth more?

19. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

And that is the truth, especially on this board. There are a number of members, both past and present, who do nothing but. No matter how many times folks have tried to educate them it's ignored and before too long they're back asking the same question again.... and again and again and again.

It's infuriating at times, especially since we've also a number of members who make absolutely no effort to help any new person but will go out of their way to attack and belittle those that do. Ain't coins fun? ;)

20. Pawstruck

I was referring to people in general seeing what they want to see. Personally, I'd rather know exactly what I have. ;)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  21. Pawstruck

Sometimes I think it's the treasure-hunting bug that makes people see what they want to see and other times it's lazy human nature...or corrupt human nature aka greed.

Draft saved Draft deleted