What’s the longest anyone has ever spent looking for a very specific coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by MasterVampire, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

How long did I look for a specific coin? Once I dropped a dime and it rolled under the couch. I looked for it for nearly 10 minutes before I found it...

DonnaML, +VGO.DVCKS and Restitutor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Still Waiting
    Saint Gaudens $20 Gold Coin (1907-1933) The Saint-Gaudens $20 Double Eagle is one of the most sought after gold coins on the market today. These gold pieces were produced by the U.S. Mint from 1907 to 1933. The coin is named after its designer, Augustus Saint-Gaudens, and is widely regarded as one of the most beautiful U.S. coins ever minted.

+VGO.DVCKS and panzerman like this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

They are easy to get at most US auctions/ most are avaliable in MS-66 for reasonable price. I am after a SS-America 1857-S in MS-65. Here is one of mine/ very common date. lf - 2020-03-01T204546.603.jpg lf - 2020-03-01T204523.387.jpg lf - 2020-03-01T204546.603.jpg

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

blob.jpg I'm poor right now,barely afford the holder right now . Maybe time to sell ?? I saw there around $4000 . I think I''ll pass thank you . LOL

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    +VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  6. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

30 years is reasonable. If a coin is highly important and excessively rare (at least at an acceptable price) be prepared to have only one chance in your lifetime. So don't fumble the ball.

I bought a Brutus Eid Mar denarius about 25 years ago. Then sold it because I thought I was giving up collecting. But resumed. Stilll haven't been able to replace. I hope to live another few decades so to be lucky a second time. Might not happen.

DonnaML, Restitutor and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I hear there is a gold Eid Mar coming up for sale, you should check it out.:eek::D;)

8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Probably Vladmir Putin will bag it.....or Bezos/ both are trillionaires.

Restitutor and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  9. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

LOL...

panzerman likes this.
  10. BJBII

BJBII Metrologist, CSSBB

Heck, about 65 years ago, my dad told me about the rare 1913 Liberty Nickel. I have been keeping an eye out for one ever since.
    ("Looking" does not equal "expecting to find.")

panzerman likes this.
  11. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

This isn't something I've been "looking" for the longest, but its definitely the longest I've had to wait to acquire something I knew existed. I've known about these for about 15-18 years but they were held by someone who wasn't interested in selling them. Someone else inherited them this year and I was finally given the chance to buy them. My great grandfather signed these notes and its an uncut serial #1 pair.
    20201023_141449.jpg

Edessa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted