West Point Mint

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Indianhead65, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I've been looking and I can't find a link to buy coins directly from the West Point Mint. Do they sell coins or have a subscription program like the other U.S. Mints? I apologize if this has been asked recently

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I don't think you can buy coins directly from any mint. I have never heard of it. There may have been some direct purchases many years ago.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. Indianhead65

5. Indianhead65

6. Inspector43

"The U S Mint" does not actually mint coins. The "mints" are work shops for what we call the U S Mint . And, they mark their products with W, P, D and S.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Indianhead65 likes this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That's about it Kevin. The goober site is the only way to get the current West Point mint issues. But, as mentioned above, some may be had in circulation.........

Indianhead65 likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You buy coins from the US Mint, notvyje West Point Mint. Can you imagine the chaos if you had to purchase your coins from every Mint? Philadelphia, Denver, San Francisco and West Point? What a mess and a waste of shipping fees.

10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It doesn't? What does it make?

11. TheFinn

There is only one United States Mint, and it is in Philadelphia, PA. The other mints are Branch Mints.

12. Inspector43

"The U S Mint" is the Administrative Branch. It doesn't matter where they are physically located. They don't do anything but process paperwork and orders for coins minted at the other branches. The U S Mint headquarters is in Washington, D. C.

13. TheFinn

The US Treasury is the administrator in Washington. The Mint is in Philadelphia. They thought about moving it in the early 1800's, but decided to leave it in a big city, rather than move it to a swamp.

14. Inspector43

United States Mint Headquarters
    801 9th Street, N.W.
    Washington, DC 20220-0012

Headquarters as listed on their web page.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Decisions.

The Treasury Department is in Washington DC and the head of the Department is the Secretary of the Treasury. The Bureau of the Mint is a part of the Treasury and it headquarters is also in Washington DC. The head of the Bureau is the Director of the Mint. (Until around the 1870's the Directors office was at the US Mint in Philadelphia.) Each of the actual working Mints is headed by a Superintendent and they answer to the Director. Each of the Superintendents is in charge of the day to day operations of their mint only. All of the decisions about what coins to strike, allocations for production to each mint, materials contracts, numismatic sales and the handling thereof and many other things, are all made in the headquarters in Washington DC.

Draft saved Draft deleted