werth marke? strange! can anyone help?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by phillipaanderson, Feb 9, 2019.

1. I like to research coins so a friend gave me a large wooden box of coins and tokens his father collected while in the military. A treasure of collected all over Europe and Asia. but not to drag on I came upon 2 strange coin or tokens they are exactly the same so the pic shows the front and back with one pic, they appear to be werth marke but no writing on either coin any knowledge or a point in the right direction would be awesome and greatly appreciated. 5.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Tokens of some sort.

phillipaanderson likes this.
  4. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Notgeld - is local token (for town or region), wertmark - is local token (for shop, cafe or market). So, wertmark is "more local" token than notgeld.

phillipaanderson likes this.
  5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Yep, not notgeld :) but a token; early 20c, I guess. The spelling "Werth-Marke" is older - younger tokens would say "Wertmarke". Here are a few more, but without any further inscription or logo it will be difficult to determine where it was used.

Edit - Duh, just realized that there is no text at all. Doesn't make things easier ...

Christian

BRandM and phillipaanderson like this.
  6. yea finding some sort of info has been hard since both tokens have no writing but you can tell its a werth marke 5. but the page you led me to actually helped with some odd copper blank planchets of odd sizes i was trying to identify so i appreciate your time thank you!

7. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Here's one in my collection, Christian. It's counterstamped "Burgkeller", which I assume to be a merchant or business name. I've seen others as well, but believe this is the only one I have. Sorry for the poor picture.

Bruce

Burgkeller 1.JPG Burgkeller 2.JPG

8. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

Anyone know what the counterstamp C.U. stands for on a 5 pfennig werth marke coin?

9. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

10. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

Here's the coin in question. Anyone know what the C.U. refers to?

Werth Marke CU.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted