Were there ever any 1933 U.S. quarters?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Drago the Wolf, Mar 21, 2010.

1. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

Though it can be misleading/confusing to the non-collector

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

If by non-collector, you mean investor, and they don't bother to research their "investment" before buying into it, then they must have money to burn, and deserve to get burned.

4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

How about if it's a mother or grandmother buying a gift for her kids of grandkids , should she have to do research , or if she doesn't is it all right for her to get burned and lose her hard earned money ?

rascal likes this.
  5. silentnviolent

That's why I asked if he meant 'investor'. Look, the same thing happens when that mother or grandmother buys a whizzed, polished Morgan dollar for $30-$40 when silver is $20 or less per ounce. It's the thought that counts when it comes to a gift; the gift itself is priceless.

6. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

The OP's original question (were there ever any 1933 quarters minted by the U.S. Mint), well, I wasn't there, but I have to assume the answer is no... and any examples found (pre-Carr, pre-Chinese fakes) were contemporary counterfeits, manufactured solely for numismatic purposes to deceive.
    As far as Daniel Carr is concerned, I just spent considerable time reading through threads concerning him, not only here, but other forums as well (and a quick Google search will show you just how prolific the subject is). I find it all very fascinating, with compelling arguments on both sides. There are very few "middle-of-the-road" types in this matter, as most are 100% for or against... and apparently can't be swayed from their stance. I will tell you one thing... if anyone has a question concerning the manufacturing of coins, just email DC... he does answer (and I base this on the fact that I had some extremely technical questions concerning die manufacturing that he answered quickly and concisely). You may not like what he does, but he's still one heck of a nice guy.

7. theSharpGun

theSharpGun The King

I don't think there is any other interpretation of the term "non-collector" other than someone who doesn't collect. And I was referring more to those who just happen to stumble upon counterfeits (or copies) of coins like 1933 quarters. The non-collector would be adamant in the coins authenticity especially if it came from mom's attic or something like that, which would only cause problems for all involved. Personally I think that there definitely needs to be something that designates the coin as not legit even if it's not on the coin itself. Having these people research the coin would be a great idea but to the average person, numismatics is a sea of information. It's easy for us to figure out but not too much to the newbie's after all they think they have just found the holy grail of coins.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I believe that in a short time we will see Foreign counterfeits of Carr's coins. The Chinese and others do have the presses and the engravers/sinkers to produce such. This would be advertised as OK, as it is done in the US already, and Carr's 'secret mark' might or might not be reproduced on the coins. If interaction occurs by the US government, then it will lead to interesting times.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. chip

chip Novice collector

I have my Dan Carr Ikes clearly labeled Dan Carr Fantasy coins, Not selling them but it was fun showing them around, before I labeled them.

theSharpGun likes this.
  10. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Received my "bulk handled" 1933 quarter today... it looks better in hand than these lousy pics I took.

33o.jpg 33r.jpg 33txt.jpg

John Burgess likes this.
  11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

They're already doing this, Jim. Here's a link to known Carr fakes, scroll half way down to see the Chinese "replicas":
    http://designscomputed.com/coins/fakes.htm

Cheech9712 likes this.
  12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I realize with any gift from a love one it's the thought that counts , but I still don't buy the logic that's still ok for them to get burned . Think if your Grandmother bought you something that she was proud of and thought real , later found out that she gave you something bogus . I'm sure she'd feel bad and duped by the whole experience .

theSharpGun and rascal like this.
  13. silentnviolent

Carr pieces can hardly be described as bogus. And I still have the whizzed, polished, way overpriced Morgan my mom bought me years ago. She was proud of it, too; it's so shiny! I tried to educate her without hurting feelings, and in the end when it comes to numismatic items it's best if the non-collector gives the collector some money and says "Buy yourself a coin you like." It is best that way.

coinsareus10 and rzage like this.
  14. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Well, there certainly is a number of people who would disagree with that... however, I'm not one of them.:)

15. Mrs dubber

Mrs dubber New Member

I picked a 1933 quarter out of my pocket change the other day. I can't figure out how to post a pic on here. I looked up the quarter and found this thread. I think they do exist.

16. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

It doesn't exist until you post a picture of it.

Please post one here in this forum. Only then can someone try to help answer your question.

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You guys are being kind to yourselves in your own minds telling yourselves that.

18. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

it says to NOT use as legal tender. if the coin was struck on a legitimate quarter, why would it not be legal just because the date is changed??

19. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Well, regardless of it's legal tender status it would be foolish to spend a 90% silver quarter for face value, don't you think?

20. bryantallard

I would think that would go without say. we know that... but obviously a lot of people don't. which is partly why I roll search. is it the altering of the coin? or the fact that none were made that year therefore making it look fake?

21. bryantallard

this is EXACTLY why I tell my grandmother not to get me anything. some coin companies will charge 12.95 for an "avg circ" merc dime. I tell her the same thing. they are trying to take advantage of people who don't know t

Draft saved Draft deleted