We're required to tell customers if their coins are worth more than face value, says the bank teller

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by myownprivy, Dec 15, 2019.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

So, I guess I'm wrong for thinking that both of your "fat" ladies might have a thyroid problem or uncontrollable diabetes or can't afford insurance to help themselves. I guess that 90 year old man with a cane struggling to get across the crosswalk is an old "cripple" who is impeding me from getting to where I'm going by a extra minute. Or maybe that person who is mentally challenged is a "retard". Or that old woman in a nursing home who has alzheimer's and talks incoherently is a "nut job". Maybe I should kick the homeless vet living on the streets, out of the way and assume he is lazy. Maybe I'm just living in my past where I grew up to assume nothing and try and respect everyone for who they are on the inside. Nah, I'll just hang on to the good manners I was brought up on. I'm good with me.

Dynoking, Bayern, Heater and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

One of my cousins on my dads side of the family is a huge person. She is fat. The family calls her little and her first name. She has been this way since she became a teenager. Why is she fat? Because the medication she needs to take has a horrible side affect. It makes you fat.

I'll stick with my morals and values and have compassion for fat people. Have I said fat enough to make you understand?

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Oddly, all those terms you've trotted out are ones I was more likely to hear from the generation that brought me up. They were descriptive terms, but they described conditions that were thought to make people inferior, so they became pejorative.

And today, of course, criticizing someone for using one of those terms earns you backlash for being "PC". As best I can tell, "PC" is the current acceptable term for what my generation was trained to call "considerate".

wxcoin likes this.
  5. afm1982

afm1982 Miami has the Dolphins...

Protractedly Corpulent?

Plucking Coinage?

Just stirring the pot here, but PC can mean lots of things. What else of when we think "PC?":playful:

eddiespin likes this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not a Mac.

7. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

And cheese

8. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

Was in line and a older fella was in front of me carrying a box. The box was a old Wells Fargo box from the 60s. I start talking ot him it was his brothers collection and I bought it off him. Rolls of Indian heads and wheat cents ,rolls of v nickels and buffalo in almost mint state and about 50 bucks in silver quarters. Also about 12 circulated Morgans. Also 3 rolls of Ben Franklin halves. I bought them all off him face value. I told him he could go to a coin shop and get way more but he said told me he didn't realy care because they were just "coins"

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

congrats! any better dates?

10. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

Mostly common the V nickels I found some very good quality 1883s without cents going in the good range and franklins all were 63 But almost mint state the Indians were just common dates and the quarters were all mint state Buffalo I found some type 1s with dates still on them Found a 1922 D wheat cent out of the circulated rolls and 3 uncirculated rolls of 1955 s Wheat cents found some steel cents to sprinkled in the rolls.

11. I'll trust an honest teller over most bankers that I know. If the teller knows what they are handling, they will be interested in protecting their customers.

12. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

I had one of my tellers that know me basically give me a '42 Merc because he doesn't collect them. All I had to do was give him a bright shiny Roosevelt in exchange to keep his drawer accurate. This is not the first time they've done this for me, but it's usually halves or old dollars that I'm after.

Heater likes this.
  13. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

Really? But YOU should of cared. You could of easily given him more then face. I am sure he would not of protested. Amazing. & you would actually post this in a coin forum for all to read. How do you sleep at night let alone live with yourself. Talk about turds in the world.
    I do know what user name I will avoid when reading through the BST threads.

Bayern likes this.
  14. Heater

Heater Well-Known Member

and you say congrats.any better dates? Really? Just plain shameful. I thought you were a respected collector. That's what thought and assumptions gets me.

Bayern likes this.
  15. Treashunt

This is amazing.
    You are excessively pompous.

Do me a favor and hit your ignore button for my name.

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2019
    Kentucky likes this.
  16. Treashunt

And the fact that you are the guardian of all things good and holy is enough foe me to realize that you are not worth reading nor caring about ever again.

Now where is that ignore button?

And do me a favor and hit the ignore on my name -- I never wish to hear such idiocy again.

When you make sainthood let me know.
    Then I may listen to you again.

17. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Nah, if you tell someone that what they have is worth more than what they're asking, and they say they don't care, then you're not in the wrong for giving them their asking price.

Troodon likes this.
  18. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Back to the topic of the original post, different banks must have different policies when it comes to coins being worth more than face value. I used to deal with a CHASE branch on a daily basis. The CHASE tellers were not allowed to take 90% silver coins for themselves, so they would ask me if I wanted them whenever they had 90% (and of course I said "yes"). I am now banking with TD, where the tellers are allowed to put aside 90% coins for themselves. I don't think the bank issue mentioned in the original post is about identifying a coin with a doubled mint mark for example, it must be about older coins with silver content.

19. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Maybe she was pregnant, but you can't make that assumption, so fat works.

20. STU

STU Active Member

never heard it up on the Canada border

21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You should be admonished for this.

Heater and Bayern like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted