Were Many or Most Nazi silver coins melted down?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by iPen, Jan 14, 2016.

1. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Not quite sure what "law" you mean; certainly not German law. But eBay makes its own rules anyway, and some sellers may use their eBay photos on MA too ...

Christian

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

A Jewish colleague of mine told me that he doesn't get offended by Nazi memorabilia, etc. as it was not the symbols that killed his relatives, but other human beings. Wise words as almost every symbol used by humans has some blood stains in it, albeit maybe not as drastic as the Nazi Swastika (to differentiate it from the Hindu/Buddhist Swastika).

He was very interested in my collection of Nazi coins and stamps to a point where he photographed it to show to his friends and wife...

bugo, rooman9 and NOS like this.
  4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I like that way of thinking.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

That page now has an error - maybe they're fixing it now?

upload_2016-1-29_3-32-40.png

7. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I find it ironic that the German government shoves their authoritarian past underneath the rug using authoritarianism. You don't fight tyranny with more tyranny, no matter how small. I predict that this is going to eventually fail because kids will be interested in "forbidden" thinks, for the same reason kids get into illicit drugs.

jester3681 likes this.
  8. bugo

bugo Well-Known Member

I have one of those Hindenberg coins along with some other Third Reich coins. I also have a Czech coin from 1949 (IIRC) with Stalin on the obverse. Yes, that Joseph Stalin.

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

I don't see that "rug" that you apparently see in this country, but discussing that here would cross Coin Talk's "no politics" line.

Christian

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have to agree with you. I believe Germany has been far and away better at addressing an uncomfortable past than some other powers from that time including a lot of the "victorious" nations.

ffrickey and Quant.Geek like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted