Went to my first coin show!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ccarroll, Mar 16, 2015.

1. ccarroll

ccarroll Member

Had a new experience of going to my first coin show - a three-day event at the Waldorf Astoria, which was quite something.
    Just curious, do you think most ordinary collectors buy a lot at those shows, or generally not? More through stores, or online, or what?

Aidan_() likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

By ordinary collectors, do you mean those who search bank rolls and pocket change?

Chris

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I love shows. Where else can you visit 50 dealers in an afternoon? I like to buy coins in person, so I end up buying a lot at shows.

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Ah, too bad it is tax season!

I would have loved to have gone.

Which show was it?

I didn't realize there was a March show.

6. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

Which Waldorf was this?

7. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

My first coin show was in Hawaii and it was in the Aloha Mona Center in downtown Honolulu. I think there were 100 tables and it was the first place I got some coins encapsulated by ANACS. This was back in 2002-2005. I bought some silver bars when silver was 4.00/oz and gold was 375.00/oz. Man do I wish I would have bought at WHOLE more of silver and GOLD. Time sure flies. It was fun as I am sure your experience was too. Mahalo!!!

8. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I must be an oddball collector. I buy an MS-64 Morgan Dollar on the weekend and search some rolls sometimes during the week. I have been to one show. I regret only spending $30, there was so much great stuff very cheap I regret not buying.

9. ccarroll

ccarroll Member

Well, Chris, by "ordinary" collector, I guess I mean not the multi-millionaire type who gets mentioned in newspaper articles?

This was at the Waldorf Astoria - I think there's only the one in NYC on Park Avenue. And it was actually in January, I think. Just that I didn't get around to posting about it. I think it's a big-deal annual event. It was a little intimidating, since I was a complete newbie, but still interesting. Surprising to me how few NYC dealers were there. I guess there are a lot of guys in NYC who term themselves coin dealers, but not necessarily really reputable - which is part of my problem with trying to sell.

10. Inquisitive

I've been there. It is heavy foreign, expensive coins, lots of dealer to dealer action, certainly intimidating. You may be better off in either Melville LI (small, but twice a month), Parsippani NJ (once a month) or WESPNEX (4 times a year, next one is April 10-12).

Good luck, and feel free to PM if you have specific questions.

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Usually the Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

Park Avenue

12. Inquisitive

That is what I would have thought, but didn't think there was a show there in March.

13. ccarroll

ccarroll Member

It was in January, I think, Treashunt, sorry. Taking me a while to post. Having some problems wrestling with the forum and my account.

14. So I've been to a few shows. I think 7 or 8 in the past 3 years. I have only bought a (1) coin at 3 of these shows and none at the others. Usually the only reason I go is to find something in the exact grade I want. However, I find that many YN's, in my age range, go crazy at shows and buy a lot. With YN's, they tend to buy more online. I believe older numismatists tend to buy more at their LCS's and buy more particular items (less) at shows.

15. ccarroll

ccarroll Member

I don't know the jargon and abbreviations! YN is "young numismatists"? What's LCS?

16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

This is the show OP went to.......

http://www.nyinc.info/

Great show (if you're a world/ancients collector) and a lovely venue. I attended one of these about 5 years ago.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Right on with 'YN'. LCS-Local coin shop.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Wow, OP, you sure picked a high end show for your first one! I had been a collector for 48 years before I attended my first NYINC, and if I hadn't had a good friend as part of the show management, I would have been intimidated. It is hardly a show for noobs. The others are right. Unless you ARE a world and/or ancient coin fan.

The Waldorf is nice. The previous location you wouldn't like. It had a coupla tall buildings collapse on it back in September 2001.

19. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'd qualify as an "ordinary" collector, and I buy coins both online and at shows . . . but it's a lot more fun doing it at shows. Nothing compares with being able to hold the coins and examine them in person. That's a type of fun you simply can't have staring at a computer screen.

UnCommonCents likes this.
  20. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Depends what options you have that work for you. I really don't have a useful local coin shop available, and I hate dickering with a passion, so shows rarely hold any appeal for me, so most of what I buy are sold on the net or in person at a local coin auction. Almost all raw, and most unseen for decades, aside from the dearly departed who owned them last. I get most of my coins PRECISELY where, and how, and at the same price, that most local show circuit dealers get them, except I don't get to cheat widows by low balling them.

21. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I buy the harder to find pieces at shows. You may find more than one if your lucky and then you can even have a choice to consider. I buy some bullion there as well because I can be more picky on condition. I would prefer a nice looking round or bar over one spotted or finger printed, even if it is being purchased based on current spot pricing. Actual common coin and related items are purchased through auctions. Being common, you can wait it out and buy it for a better price. I also find I can sell better at the shows and avoid the commissions and selling premiums. You liquidate faster and also get paid on the spot. No one venue ends up being the sole answer for my numismatic activity. I use all the tools available to me, some with more caution than others.

Draft saved Draft deleted