Went metal detecting in my back yard this morning and got a nice little surprise

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Zako, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Well after I found that Buffalo Nickel and Susan B Anthony dollar I started keeping wheat pennies then when I was 12 I got my very first walking liberty half dollar and I showed it to my grandfather and he preceded to show me his entire coin collection and he gave me a 1940 half dollar, a 1900 V nickel, a 1911 wheat penny and an 1880 O Morgan dollar. And that's a nice V nickel

Mainebill and Inspector43 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I had to buy the 1886 because, as you know, I gave my brother the one we found long after there was any hope of ever finding another. I have a complete set. When we were kids in the late 40's and early 50's we had an informal club where we got together and traded. We didn't care about "book value". Scarcity in our town was the driver. We would barter. I was able to get the 12S because someone else had 2 of them and wanted some of my stuff. The rest were found in circulation or traded for.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  5. Inspector43

Grandpas are like that. Nice start.

6. Inspector43

I understand that there is a beach on the West side of Florida where metal detectors find gold and silver. Do you know if that is true?

7. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Personally no I don't know if that's true cause I've never been to any of the beaches in Florida but I do know that if you do find any gold or silver objects you have to report it to the proper authorities before you can keep it if you can keep it

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That sounds like a great way to learn, have fun and build a collection.

Inspector43 likes this.
  9. Inspector43

Really, you can't keep a gold coin if you find it on a beach? I know there is a beach near Corpus Christie where it is illegal to pick up old coins.

10. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

It's more of you might get to keep it pending on the historical value and in Florida any item that's 50 years old or older is considered an artifact

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

All this talk of detecting is making me more and more want to get one. Plenty of places around here. Start at my house ca 1790 the foundation hole of an early house next to me of similar date or either neighbors house one 1792 the other ca 1770. And there used to be his law office built in 1817 and disassembled in the early 80s. I own it now in storage waiting until I have the time and money to put up maybe there’s a 1794 $1 or 1802 half dime out there though I wouldn’t want to sell either

Inspector43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted