Went a Bit Crazy....but the End Result was not Bad IMHO

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 1934 Wreath Crown, May 27, 2017.

1. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

The listing did not mention the scratches like it did on some of the other listings including one of Junius Brutus that I managed to get. So you could be spot on.:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Overall, the five coins you posted are an excellent kick-off to a broadly based collection of ancients. Not just because "they are fairly sought after ancients" but more because they are iconic types of important coins and historical figures, and are in very good condition for their types.

Based on the prices you paid, including the exchange rate and buyer's fees, you should feel comfortable that you did well and (in my opinion) didn't overpay for the coins.

Personally, I would resist the temptation to have them graded or authenticated, at least for now. I think it's extremely likely that they are all genuine, and I don't doubt Roma's trustworthiness when it comes to selling coins -- i.e., if they thought a coin wasn't authentic, they wouldn't list it in their auction. If, in the future, your research casts doubt upon any of these coins, you can always have it authenticated later. Roma has a perpetual guarantee of authenticity.

Similarly, the grade of each coin is pretty much irrelevant, since if you ever do want to sell any of these coins, the potential buyers will evaluate your coins based on comparison to others that they're considering, rather than on an assigned grade.

Good luck in your future collecting!

4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

"Not bad"? Try fantastic!

"Might be"? Ha! I'm betting that you are well and truly hooked now. Welcome! We all look forward to seeing your many new acquisitions over the years. :D

jamesicus and 1934 Wreath Crown like this.
  5. 1934 Wreath Crown

True. Given their lifetime warranty I feel fairly happy buying from them. I did try to concentrate on important historical figures and then scarce or rare coins from their era. My only problem is that I don't live in a region where there are any coin grading companies. So I have to decide on a course of action for a bulk purchase of coins.

Having said that I am now very scared of upsetting all the guys who have been so helpful on this forum:)

I think for now I'll just enjoy my purchases.;)

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Don't worry about us. We should be the last of your worries. Please yourself first and foremost. We'll get over anything that might "upset" us, it's you that have the financial layout and has to live with them. Really, don't worry about what we think.

Sallent and Curtisimo like this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

the gold is nice, but I am liking that elephant and I don't do ancients.....yet.

1934 Wreath Crown likes this.
  8. 1934 Wreath Crown

spirityoda Thanks. That is a very popular striking by the military mint which travelled with Caesar and one of my favourites too. Have been looking for one for a long time now.

I like this one too in spite of the mintmark and scratches - Brutus

Brutus Denarius Mint mark.jpg

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Banker's mark.

I like the banker's marks. They give the coin character (it was actually used) and makes them cheaper. :happy:

Severus Alexander likes this.
  10. 1934 Wreath Crown

Apologies......banker's mark:D

11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A truly wonderful selection of ancient coins. IMHO you have chosen very well. They are all desirable coins in nice condition. What a fantastic way to begin your foray into ancient coins.

There are some who would counsel a beginner to buy coins of lesser value. As long as one does the research first and knows what they are buying, I see nothing wrong with diving in. When I started I read for several months before buying my first coin, an Otho denarius. I have never looked back.

One more piece of advice. The people on this board are friendly and extremely helpful. Many will have advice on how to collect. Collect how and what you want to. Do not let anyone, including myself of course, tell you how to collect. You are even free to ignore this advice.

I really like all of your choices, but the Octavian denarii with the anepigraphic obverses are very nice indeed. That said it is hard to go wrong with a 1/4 stater of Alexander or an elephant denarius of JC.

Enjoy your new acquisitions!

12. Agricantus

Agricantus Allium aflatunense

Wonderful 'harvest'. Coin appeal, quality & interest will likely still be there, long after the payment amount is forgotten. I am actively working on forgetting prices :)

13. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A beautiful set! If you choose to have them slabbed, that is of course your prerogative. They certainly won't be damaged by doing so, and I doubt anyone here would get upset about it, not that you should care anyway. But realize that if you do get them slabbed, you are only doing it for yourself, for whatever personal reasons you may have for doing so. It will add no value to the coins whatsoever, and future collectors will likely remove them from the slabs - I know I would. This isn't the arena of modern collecting. Serious collectors of ancients consider slabs to be something like tits on a bull.

Jwt708, stevex6, Co1ns and 3 others like this.
  14. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

One more thing, I am not trying to sway you in any collecting direction but you have a terrific start on a "Historical figures on Coins" collection.

15. 1934 Wreath Crown

I totally agree with what you've said. I like to concentrate on the important historical figures. My philosophy is that if I've heard of them and their historical achievements interest me then for sure many others might also be interested in them.

Orfew likes this.
  16. 1934 Wreath Crown

Thanks. This time I've been looking at Alexander, JC, Marc Antony, Junius Brutus and Octavian. Hope to expand my sphere of interest in future :happy:

17. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I'm curious: what drew you to the particular denomination of a quarter stater? The full staters of Alexander are much more popular and much more numerous, and of course much more substantial in hand. I'm sure you're aware that the quarter stater is a tiny bit of a coin, around 2 grams, maybe 10 or 11 millimeters in diameter. It's a fabulous coin though! I would love to have it taking up a wee bit of room in my cabinet. :)

18. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Wonderful coins!

19. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Wow talk about an epic introduction to the ancients forum! :wideyed::greedy::hungry:

Great group of very historically interesting coins @1934 Wreath Crown. Thanks for sharing!

Welcome to the dark side :)

Co1ns and 1934 Wreath Crown like this.
  20. 1934 Wreath Crown

Well the way I saw it, the 1/4 stater is much harder to find in good grades. The last one I saw sold was for twice what I paid for mine and it was no where close in quality. I can read the writing on my coin and the portrait is good in my opinion.

The full stater being more numerous, can be had at any time so I didn't want to pass on the chance of acquiring a scarce denomination. Maybe I'm totally wrong but I do like the look of this coin.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    John Anthony likes this.
  21. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Well reasoned and a good decision! Welcome to the club :)

Draft saved Draft deleted