Well, wish I hadn't dithered over THIS...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by -jeffB, Feb 29, 2020.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

This appeared (briefly) in the new BIN listings this afternoon:

Five Dollar 1805 Coin As Mens Watch Fob

A turban-head half eagle (I think it's actually 1803/2?), with a loop soldered on, and engraved as a love token on the reverse. In the time I took to run off and see whether there was any possibility it was genuine, someone else snatched it -- for $475.

Based on my somewhat limited experience with holed and engraved rarities, I'm thinking this one (if genuine) was still easily a four-figure coin. And about the only sort of turban-head gold I'm every likely to take a shot at.

NSP and Paul M. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

Just tell yourself it's probably fake, and someone is going to be very disappointed when it arrives. That's what I'd do.

Hoky77 and Paul M. like this.
  4. -jeffB

And if so they'll appeal to eBay Buyer Protection, and win.

No matter; my barrel of eBay missed opportunities is deep and wide enough that this one will only make a small ripple. It's in my nature to prefer missed opportunities over seized mistakes.

NSP, Kentucky, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I don’t think you missed anything. If genuine, it was messed with... not worth losing sleep over it.

Penna_Boy likes this.
  6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

IMO if the coin is real the love token aspect makes it desirable to some collectors.

NSP, Kentucky, -jeffB and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I think it was absolutely real just altered and I’d have snatched it for $475

NSP and Paul M. like this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Considering melt is over $400, and you should be able to easily return it if it's not gold, I don't think I would have dithered at $475 if that was on my radar.

NSP likes this.
  9. -jeffB

Yeah, but due to various short-term conditions I'm not feeling quite as prosperous as I had been, and that translates into increased reluctance to jump on potential opportunities. I know it's the wrong attitude, but it's a safe one.

Paul M. and TypeCoin971793 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted