Well, There Goes The Neighborhood....A colorized Commem Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by green18, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Hey, that looks like igor from "Young Frankenstein"...

"Abby something,.. Abby Normal"

"Walk this way"

These aren't technically colorized right? It's just a bi-metal design. The only thing I see wrong with it is it could be a gateway drug for the US mint if it preforms well.

Paddy54 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That's my thought as well.......

Cascade likes this.
  6. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Well at least it will be artists designing the coin which means we may actually get something beyond just a pink ribbon themed coin like that Canadian quarter was.

'The bill also establishes a design competition open to Mint artists, engravers and interested members of the general public. Preference would be given to 3D models but paper and electronic representations are acceptable. Design candidates would be judged by a six-person committee consisting of three members of the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) and three members of the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA). The winning artist would receive at least $5,000 dollars but the Treasury Secretary may grant a larger prize at his or her discretion.'

http://www.coinweek.com/coins/comme...-commemorative-coin-bill-passes-house-senate/

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Yep so folks might as well get used to it.

I'll be in for the Silver and the Halves but I don't usually bother with any gold coin produced by our mint. Too cheap I guess!

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

It doesn't read like it's colorized like the RCM coins. I think it's just minted in solid pink gold.

Cascade likes this.
  9. green18

Well, if that's the way they do it, then all the better. Heck, a few days ago I never heard the term 'pink gold'. Reading the news release I just figured they were going to add more copper to the composition to achieve the color.

10. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Well they apparently are. But not pink gold plated, solid. It seems.
    And I'm with you, never heard pink gold before either. Rose gold yes, I've given rose gold jewelry a few times.

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Is more commonly referred to as rose gold... Heck, there's even a green gold!

12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, that is exactly what they are doing. Pink gold and rose gold are the same thing - and you get it by adding more copper to the mix.

These are not colorized coins, as the OP seems to think, and they are not plated. They sound like they will be struck in a different alloy of gold. This isn't a "trend" or anything like others in the thread seem to think - this is a special issue coin in a special alloy.

Pink is the color for breast cancer awareness. Surely you guys are aware of that, right? All of the breast cancer ribbons and buttons and everything are all pink. I think it is a clever idea to make the coin out of rose gold.

green18 likes this.
  13. green18

Colorized is what we all fear........

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

At least it has that going for it. I actually wish they would switch to this method for everything going forward. I don't really trust them to pick the best design, but at least this gives us the best chance of getting a nice design

Draft saved Draft deleted