Well, There Goes The Neighborhood....A colorized Commem Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by green18, Apr 29, 2016.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

4. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I had to read all the way to the bottom to get to the bottom line of profit sharing. "Under the terms of the H.R. 2722, each coin sale will have added surcharges of $35 per gold coin, $10 per silver dollar and $5 per clad half-dollar with collected funds paid to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (www.bcrfcure.org) for furthering research".
    My main disappointment is that the Mint is using less gold and charging more for the actual coin price.

Dave

5. green18

Yeah, I'm not happy with the prospect of the mint moving away from the traditional compositions, but the mint has been pushing for this eventuality for some time now........

6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

They sound interesting. The 2012 silver Canadian penny with the rose gold leaves was very attractive. Should be an attractive set.

Smojo likes this.
  7. green18

Well, regardless of how I feel, I will have to have one of the golds.......if only to carry on the commem collection. :)

8. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

its all about the money

9. I'm in for the pink gold. October release date for sure. :p

10. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I don't think the mint will charge the exact price as if the coin was 22k they will probably create a one off pricing grid like they did for the gold centennial coins. The $35/$10/$5 surcharge is standard on every commemorative offering and goes to the charity. I think a rose gold breast cancer research coin could be a nice offering depending on the design they end up with.

11. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Isn't it bad enough they decided to adulterate coinage this way? Did they really have to choose that vomit-like color to put on the coins?

Okay . . . I take it back . . . I didn't realize it wasn't paint. I guess I can understand their choices are limited by the alloys they can come up with. Still, it looks homely to me. Nearly as much so as a terminally toned Churchill Dollar.

12. green18

Guess we'll have to wait and see on this one Mike.......

13. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well Ken I gave up on Jefferson nickels a few years back when they went from the Original design to the Marty Feldman Jefferson version . Marty_Feldman_3.jpg

14. green18

LOL Paddy......I like the forward facing Jeff, but you just added a new spin to things........Lordy, I'll never look at the issue in the same way. Still, you'll not dissuade me from liking them brother.......:)

15. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I should of done an alert before reading on this post . No use wasting good liquor spraying it across the room , :)

Mojavedave likes this.
  16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Why can't they just use regular silver and gold . Colors , well I just don't like them on coins . Man I am old . ;)

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I will send the anti-cancer folks a check. The Mint can keep its colored coins.

jmferris, Rassi, Stevearino and 3 others like this.
  18. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Which unfortunately they won't get if they don't sell enough

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

But at least the charity shouldn't have any trouble coming up with the matching funds.

20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I like the rose gold idea as well. Unfortunately I think the design will likely be lackluster. We can almost guarantee the ribbon will be used in some aspect of the design if not get an entire side to itself. Even though the ribbon is very fitting for the issue it is a rather boring image as far as coin designs go. In all fairness this is going to be a difficult subject to make an appropriate design that will be visually pleasing.

21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Well the rest of the world's mints are turning out colored coins like pizza slices. Since the US is bent determined to be like everyone else, why should our coinage be exempted?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted