Well then, that was bizarre :/

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Johndakerftw, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Wuz up, all?

I had the weirdest dream last night and has confused me all day.

My dream had me at a coin show (yay). I was looking around the tables and came across one that had some Roman oil lamps. I decided that I would buy one.

I come home and admire the lamp. I then proceed to eat it.:eek::hungry::yack: After devouring it, I immediately regret what I did.

I then go back to the show to try and find the dealer. That's when I wake up.

Yikes! lol I have no idea what to think. Any ideas on the insanity that is Erin's subconscious?:wacky:

IMG_3593.JPG IMG_3594.JPG

This one is safe, don't worry!

Have you guys ever had dreams about coins or artifacts?

Erin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Well, I've never dreamed about eating my coins, but yes, I have had a few dreams featuring coins. Usually the dream is just me finding a bunch of coins (sometimes ordinary pocket change, sometimes foreign coins) lying on the ground, and trying to stuff my pockets with as many coins as possible. Once I dreamed I was looking through a shoebox of weird coins- lots of very strange shapes, with inscriptions in languages I didn't recognize. I've also had dreams that featured fossil-hunting and bird-watching. Guess my subconscious brain wants to enjoy my hobbies just as much as my conscious mind :)

4. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

That's fascinating, Erin... I'm glad you didn't wake up to find a bite out of one of your lamps or a gritty taste in your mouth. I haven't dreamt about coins or artifacts... Yet...

5. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Mmmmm, peanut brittle oil lamps are awesome! :)

I have dreamed about finding ancient coins either one or two or a whole hoard many times. Bummer to wake up and realize it was a dream.

John

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I've had coin dreams before, usually after I spend all day sorting through uncleaned hoards trying to make heads or tails of the coins, pulling out all of the FEL TEMP REPARATIO types. Then I see FTR in my brain and it will just not go away. Ha ha

lordmarcovan and Deacon Ray like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's a good one! :p

Can't say as how I've ever eaten an ancient terracotta oil lamp (bet they'd be crunchy and not too flavorful), but I've gotten up to some similarly bizarre shenanigans in my dreams.

Deacon Ray and Johndakerftw like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

I have a recurring dream which is obviously a juxtaposition of both my collecting and my past metal detecting habits.

In the dream, I am able to stroll through old neighborhoods and just sieve up old coins right out of the dirt with my fingers, merely by walking along the curb or sidewalk and dragging my cupped hand through the ground.

I do not need a detector. I just scoop my hand through the dirt, which is always as loose and easy to run my hands through as if it were dry beach sand. The grass always falls neatly back into place after I've combed my hand through.

Sometimes there are gold coins - double eagles or Spanish escudos - or things like Flowing Hair dollars, but more often the coins I scoop up in my hand are just like what you'd see in a typical eBay search. Some are nice and some are not. There's a lot of $25-100 material. But big handfuls of it.

So the dreams are relatively "realistic" in that regard. Usually I'm not scooping up a fantastic fortune, but I am finding some varied, fun, and interesting stuff.

9. lordmarcovan

PS- I'm also able to fly by flapping my arms. Not very high or fast, but with vigorous flapping I can get a few feet above the ground in a sort of awkward hover.

But I've never eaten an ancient clay oil lamp in those dreams. Nosiree. That would be nuts. ;)

10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..perhaps the dreams means that you will be a consumer of ancients lamps some time in the future...:)

11. lordmarcovan

Semi-seriously though, Erin, if you asked me to interpret that dream, I'd say that maybe you have some trace of subconscious guilt (or at least doubt) about the money you spend on the hobby. As though maybe it is being wasted - like the lamp you admire but then consume, ending up with nothing for the money you spent.

Is there anyone close to you who doesn't understand or support your hobby? That can do it.

There's my interpretation. Five cents, please. Payable in one nickel dated 1885 or 1918/7-D. :)

f59d7126933b9008778bd5c70ab6c843.jpg

12. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

I have a 1998 Canadian nickel, will that do? :D

Unfortunately, there are quite a few people that think I’m an idiot because what I have must be ‘fake’ and it’s a huge waste of money. They seem to try and convince me of it. My dad has slowly come around. But, my mom is really mad that I influenced my brother to join me.

I haven’t regretted a single cent I’ve spent on ancient coins and I never will. This is a hobby I consider myself very blessed to be a part of.

The oil lamp in the op was generously sent to me by @Stevearino and I think it’s totally awesome. It even inspired my brother to get his own.:D

I told my brother about it and I’m not allowed near his lamp, lol.:wacky:

Erin

13. lordmarcovan

Yeah, I don't suggest for a moment that your time or money is wasted. (Being another inmate in the same asylum, I wouldn't, now, would I?)

Nor do I think that you would actually entertain such doubts consciously. But if there have been naysayers, particularly influential ones like parents, there goes that little whisper inside your head that waits until you're asleep... which then makes you snack on pottery. ;)

Johndakerftw likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

LOL

I'm partial to the Butter Shortbread Cuneiform tablets, myself.

15. ominus1

i could fly when i was very young in my dreams, but when i had doubts, i would start to falter towards the earth and high wires..but once grounded, i never was able to fly again.. i do miss that lucidity..

16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

How funny-- I've had that same dream many times and it is awesome!! To achieve flight (or hover, really) I jump up and flap my arms rapidly. I have to do it a few times in the dream, like yanking the lawnmower chain or kickstarting a motorcycle, but then I'm off and hovering, arm flapping no longer required. A mere change in body position or wave of an arm will propel me or turn me. The feeling was so familiar and it finally dawned on me that in the dream it felt like achieving neutral buoyancy when scuba diving.

Anyway, in that hover dream there is a catch: I'm also invisible. The deal is that I am offered the ability to hover/fly but the tradeoff is that I will be forever invisible. I have 24 hours to decide and spend the time doing as many ordinary activities as I can to see if I want to stay that way forever. The dream always ends before I've decided.

Once I had a dream in which I could really fly-- soar like Superman-- and it was incredible! I was flying above a lake, taking big swooping dives, feeling the increase in g-force during turns, cool wind in my face... it was utterly exhilarating. When I woke it took almost a day to lose the feeling and to realize I hadn't really flown. It felt so real that to this day I feel like I really have had the experience :).

Stevearino, Ryro, Theodosius and 3 others like this.
  17. lordmarcovan

That's pretty deep, too.

ominus1 likes this.
  18. ominus1

..that was the magic of it for me too...:)

TIF likes this.
  19. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

You’re not insane, Erin! Your dream is not so far fetched. I wouldn't recommend eating pre-fired terracotta clay but there are cultures who eat kaolin (pipe clay). I'm not sure why other than the possibility that their bodies must crave the minerals.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    lordmarcovan and Johndakerftw like this.
  20. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Well, that was fun to read. I know I have had dreams about coins, but I don't really remember what they were now.

These pictures show common themes in many of my dreams. I'll leave the interpretation up to you, I couldn't really explain them much better than these pics do anyway.

[​IMG]

# 4

[​IMG]

# 3

[​IMG]

# 2

[​IMG]

# 1

[​IMG]

Ryro, Deacon Ray, Alegandron and 5 others like this.
  21. lordmarcovan

Excellent way of describing it. #4, 3, 2, and 1 have all featured in my own dreams.

Parthicus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted