Well that is awkward....

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddddd, Dec 3, 2018.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

To me, the coin is junk, but I DO love the photography technique of it. But hey, if that look does something for you, you probably are a hoot with some oil on a rainy day - endless entertainment.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I prefer scotch on a rainy (in my case snowy) day. Although the coin looks pretty under various lighting I'd prefer one without the toning.

4. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Scotch, oil on puddles, the occasional colorful coin mixed in with scores of white ones - yes I intend to enjoy all these things. It seems the simple things are more reliable and satisfying at the end of the day.

JPeace$, CoinCorgi and wxcoin like this.
  5. mumu

mumu Junior Member

I'm still here.

6. mumu

mumu Junior Member

I think the coin is NT and no idea if it once graded AT before the 4 but my guess is PCGS came around to the idea of toned Peace dollars existing after David Hall/Don Willis' ridiculous comment way back when.

Bottom line is silver tones colorfully. An peace dollars are silver. End of story. Most toners have toned from the chemicals in fingers and palms with many having finger prints. It's science.

7. mumu

mumu Junior Member

I am not pissed off nor run off. I tend to cycle my posting thru the different forums and tend to do 1 at a time for periods of time. That said I think NGC forum has finaly bit the dust.

8. mumu

mumu Junior Member

That's backpedaling.

9. V. Kurt Bellman

This isn't. I DON'T LIKE HEAVILY OR COLORFULLY TONED COINS AND I NEVER WILL. THEY'RE UGLY! IN MY VIEW THEY NEED TO BE BUMPED DOWN, OFTEN WAAAAAY DOWN, IN GRADE!

Here's the problem, mumu. I can create splotchy brown toning on a brilliant silver coin EVERY TIME, ON DEMAND, 100% SUCCESS RATE. So how the heck can it be worth anything? Yet these ugloid monstrosities bring MS68 grades and four figure prices regularly from common dates.

BTW, I do not stop at the catalog. I go into lot viewing rooms and LOOK AT the coins, in my hand. Remember that? Before we all were sitting in parents' basements "looking at" coins (as if...) on a screen?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  10. mumu

mumu Junior Member

Then keep making them and challenge Bezos for worlds richest man. Problem solved.

Listen, some people like fat girls. If thats your thing awesome. Live and let live. I dont particularly like white coins. Good. More for you. You want to use chemicals to strip down metal from coins to make them artificially white again go for it.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Tell me, how exactly did I "strip down metal from coins to make them artificially white again" that are still in their original government packaging, aka older proof sets? You can keep up this "all white coins are messed with" lie all you want. I'm too experienced to believe that lie. Go sell "stupid" SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Um, isn’t the conclusion of that “we’re all stocked up here?”

RonSanderson likes this.
  13. mumu

mumu Junior Member

There are coins in those same government packages with wild rainbow toning.

14. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

An avalanche of non-sequitors!!!

15. V. Kurt Bellman

Yes there are. I avoid them at all costs when working on MY collection. Those are, almost without exception, the DAMAGED sets.

16. V. Kurt Bellman

This is coin collecting, specifically when talking about this specialty - United States coin collecting. We're not ONLY "all stocked up here", we are apparently ALL ABOUT being stupid - aka liking toned coins.

17. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Can't one just like original coins and luster, be the coins toned or not? Light toning is not damaging but can be helpful for determining originality or provenance. How is that bad?

18. V. Kurt Bellman

It's NOT "bad", as long as it truly is "light". This idiotic idea that any coin of a certain age has to have been dipped, if it's white, is simply INSANE. That is utter hogwash. Several thousand of very OLD Morgans have just come to market, cut from original mint sewn bags, and they are almost ALL blast white.

What happened? Did somebody train several thousand insects to crawl in and wipe then all down with EZest, or what?

19. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I'm not saying that toning is the only way to establish originality - obviously not the case.

I'm saying that toning is frequently not damaging (which you apparently agree with). Being that it is not damaging in those cases and it can lend itself to be useful in establishing originality and provenance, is it not then true that toning is sometimes good?

20. mumu

mumu Junior Member

Those same bags produce wild rainbows. And some people like them. Big deal, move on with your collecting. Let people ike what they do. You like boring white coins, great. Doesnt bother me 1 bit. Less bidders on the natures art pieces i like. Win/win.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

Sometimes it does have accidental positive influences, and thereby achieves status as a net neutral.

Jaelus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted