Well she’s got a nice backside.....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Joe Campbell, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

I bought an 1834 half cent a week or so ago at the ole LCS. It was in one of the 3 ring binders where type coins are described, one coin to a page. I couldn’t see the obverse terribly well but the reverse was really nice so I took a stab for $50 thinking I got a good deal.

Once I got it home and freed it from its page-home I’m less excited. Still pleased with it but I think I paid full price for it.

thanks for looking.

9AAB5E18-9004-41E4-A736-54781C310DF7.png 942EBA06-5175-4BA1-93A9-203FEE940C4F.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Lovely,hey its a 187 year old piece of history the best thing you can ever have;).

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

You know this wont be the first time you will find a coin as such...I recall a show in Annapolis where I found a seated quarter in a binder.
    Im thinking wow this should be in the case not in a binder it was perfect....until...yup I pulled it out of the page flipped the coin and my jaw dropped! Someone had cut two thick grooves in the reverse. Unbelievable you could of signaled a plane with the luster.
    But yeah its crazy at times what people do to coins....

That reverse is xf or better....

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    love old coins likes this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

One of my great-great-great-great-uncles was born in 1834. I'm betting his backside isn't that well-preserved. Front side either.

love old coins likes this.
  6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

It's a Cohen-1 (C-1) variety.
    Easy to identify since it's the only variety in 1834 :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted