Well, I'm sure glad I decided to look through my 200 lbs of copper cents...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Nov 19, 2017.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I've been filling up a 5-gallon glass water jar with pre-1982 copper cents for a few years now. Mostly, I just wanted to see how many cents it would take - but now that I've decided to move on and get rid of something that's too heavy for me to pick up, tonight was the night to package it all up and get it prepped for an auction.

Took me three USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate boxes (66 pounds of cents in each box) to empty the jar. About $300 face value worth of cents in there.

As I was going through it, I started to find some additional copper coins I'd thrown in there. Most of them were commonly seen 1800's world coins (like those Spanish 5 Centimos, Mexican Centavos, French Centimes...etc...plus some Canadian Large Cents.)

Best coin I threw in here (not sure why I did it, but I'm glad I found it again) was this 1858 Canadian large cent:

Canada - 1858 Cent.jpg

Cucumbor, jj00, Stevearino and 13 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

It's always fun to find coins you forgot you had.

SorenCoins likes this.
  4. stldanceartist

Especially key dates.

SorenCoins likes this.
  5. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

auction site?

6. stldanceartist

Well, I want to be respectful of the forum rules (not posting B/S/T offers/info outside the B/S/T section) so I'll just say two things:

1) I post auction links in the Auction Listings forum when I have them, so I'd keep an eye on that

2) Due to high shipping costs, these will be put into a live only auction. If you would like more info, feel free to PM me.

(Talking about the auction wasn't my original goal, it was just sort of mentioned for context. There is no intent to violate forum rules here.)

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That is a total of 198 pounds.. you kept the extra 2 pounds? Or that's the total weight of non US Cents you found?

8. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Wow, sweet!

Thanks,
    Jacob

9. stldanceartist

Just rounding up is all. Note that I said “about $300” - so it’s about 200 pounds as well.

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

Now that's a coin jar!

11. stldanceartist

I started it as an homage to my grandmother's penny jar (yes, I know the US doesn't make "pennies" but that's what she called it.) When I was little, my mom would bring me over to grandma's house and while they talked in the kitchen, grandma used to dump out a pile of cents on her carpet. I'd sit there for hours quietly sorting, stacking, arranging the coins.

I don't remember ever, ever finding any keys or semi-keys (even when I went through her collection a couple years ago because my aunt/uncle asked me to sell it for her) and I remember thinking that was odd. I thought, "but couldn't she just go buy the ones that were missing so I could complete the set?"

Because key date Lincoln Wheaties are pretty reasonable /s

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

13. thedredge

thedredge Active Member

Nice VG find in the bottom of your jar, $80.00 Canadian is not a bad find at all.
    Make sure to check the 5 for doubling as the price goes up.

Stevearino likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

thedredge likes this.
  15. John T.

John T. Active Member

Nice if you like that stuff.

16. stldanceartist

Yep. That's a lot of cents.

2,000,000 wheat cents /100 = $20,000 Face Value
    2,000,000 wheat cents x $.05/coin = $100,000,000,000,000 Street Value

(Edited my math...but not in a correct way. Thanks to those who pointed out my error. Distracted calculations is all I gotta say.)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  17. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Watch your decimal places

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

20K times 5 is 100K not a million.
    Like that 19th century Canadian large cent.
    HOW COULD YOU THROW THAT IN A JAR?

19. stldanceartist

You are very correct, sir. My luck to try to do math while a girl talks to me. Sheesh.

20. stldanceartist

Yep, got it. (re: math)

And, if I remember correctly, and this was years ago when I started (because it was on the bottom of the pile) was that I wanted to leave a surprise for myself (not just fill it with common copper cents.)

Surprise landed.

21. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Yeah, girls mess up everything. Did I mention I have a wife and 2 daughters?:eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted