Well, if you're gonna ask too much for a coin....

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SuperDave, Jan 6, 2017.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

PCGS is typically forgiving with 21's at least at the 65 and under level. Most I see, if any other common date, would be 1 grade less typically. That's a doozie but yeah, it was dipped for sure. Accetable though :)

4. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Looking thru the sellers coins, most of them are ~$5 over list price (and they are all blast white, surprise). I guess they could be trying to catch a novice sleeping, but I hope it was just an honest mistake while adding listings.

Just a guess at the original patina, from the little bit of dark hiding in the denticles on the lower reverse, I'd bet it was in the same family as this peace dollar from the same seller:
    [​IMG]

Paul M. likes this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Heck, I'd be danged to pay that kind of money for a common '21 Morgan.......at that grade or otherwise...........hair splitting just like with 'moderns'.........otherwise common coins being offered for big money. Does it come with a 'green bean'? Add 10%. devil.gif

6. SuperDave

Yeah, it's 50% over list for MS65. 66 is a huge jump for this one, though (~$500+), and the marks below the eye are about the only ones on the coin and don't jump out at you. I'd believe it in a 66 holder.

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Judging by all the whitish spots and the dark stuff left in the denticles and inside the letters, I'm going to guess it was pretty far gone before they dipped it. They may have done that coin a favor.

mynamespat and dwhiz like this.
  8. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Are you going to pull the trigger? It must be a desirable scribbles based on the premium. :)

9. SuperDave

"Desirable scribbles" is an oxymoron of the highest order. :p

RonSanderson, Cascade and Paul M. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted