Featured Well I Finally Tried It: the Crack Out

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by geekpryde, Sep 18, 2014.

1. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Definitely seems like hacksaw would be the better way to do it. I also have seen people hammer the slab, and it opens nicely. Smashing coins with a hammer seems like tempting fate a little too much.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. geekpryde

Assuming you already own one, I bet that would make fast work of it! I own alot of tools but this is not one of them.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. geekpryde

I didn't use the rag trick, but the generation of NGC slabs I was breaking open seemed pretty resilient to the very high pressure the Diagonal pliers / wire cutters I was using. There is definitely better methods.

5. geekpryde

I wear glasses normally, but I agree with this for sure. That or the rag trick to capture the flying bits of hard TPG plastic,or better yet, both!

6. geekpryde

I've seen a few of those. I do own a nice vise and would try this method next time around.

I actually thought the Diagonal cutters would make fast work of the TPG plastic, not so much... :sorry:

7. geekpryde

100% agree with this.

True. But since I'm an 80's kid, the timing all makes sense. :p

mark_h likes this.
  8. MadMartigan

MadMartigan Active Member

YEAAAAAAAAA I love freeing coins from there plastic tombs. I am so proud of you.

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

wasted money buying slabbed coins because of the $30-40 slabbing fees. buy raw then.

SilverSurfer415 likes this.
  10. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Are you kidding? The last two Washington Quarters I bought in NGC slabs were both MS 65 and from the 50's. One cost me $12, the other $16. I didn't waste any money. If anything, I'd say I got my money's worth and then some.

The OP most likely couldn't sell the MS 64's because his price was out of whack, or, as I would say, at dealer relationship levels. Just guessing.;)

11. geekpryde

huh?

When I was buying non-CAC TPG coins, like PF69UC Kennedy's, and many other silver Washington quarters, you can buy these coins for < $15 all day long. Someone else's TPG mistake, or spec-coin, is not eBay buyers problem. Buyers aren't paying these sorts of plastic premiums on low-end coins, I assure you.

Agree with the first part of your post. (That may be a first! :p)

I dont know if they were out-of-whack, I was asking $18 with free shipping. Maybe? I didnt buy them to sell them, I bought them to crack out as it's easier and sometimes cheaper to buy PCGS/NGC MS64 /65 coins then to buy raw. I know, weird.

But, I could have sold them if I just dumped them in an auction, but half of me wanted to keep them for my raw silver Washington set, and the other half of me thought it was evil to crack pristine TPG plastic. Since no one wanted them at $18, they got cracked. :)

MKent likes this.
  12. torontokuba

Yeah, I just checked them out. Problem is, I've encountered nicely toned raw UNC 1963 and 1964 Washingtons for $7 and $9. The NGC ones you have, were not particularly attractive. I'm surprised at the number of dings the older slab allowed for an MS 64 grade. Based on the years, I'm not sure you would have gotten more than $12 a piece.

13. geekpryde

Yeah, and I only paid $11 for the 64-D, and $13 for the 63-D, so your pricing is just about spot-on. Agree with you on the hits, but my photos were way to harsh. They look better in-hand, but still no where near MS65 material, probably like C-grade MS64 in CAC parlance. Some pics hide issues, other accentuate them.

14. torontokuba

Yeah, true. Here it is, for those who do not wish to search...

$_57.JPG

15. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I actually target the low hanging fruit for my Washington album in regards to slabbed quarters. You can find plenty of the series in 63-65 for less than a $20.

I have small qualms about cracking PCGS and NGC for some reason, everything else I pretty much buy to crack-out. Especially yellow and blue ANACS.

It is a little weird targeting graded coins to crack out and put into an album.

16. torontokuba

My mistake, I just double checked, one was an MS 66, the other an MS 65.:sorry: The prices I mentioned were accurate.

17. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

looks like you made out ok just make sure that you send in those certs when you do i think it is actually the most important part of the crack out ! IMO cheers :happy:

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

My weapon of choice.......

geekpryde likes this.
  19. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Band-saw? Nah. Pillow case and concrete floor.

I like the idea of grading, but honestly, I really don't like ANY "slab." Even thought I have some coins in slabs, I'm not crazy about 'em.

What's with all that extra plastic? All it needs to be in is an Air-tite/Kointain-looking thing with the grade and particulars laser-etched on the edge of the "capsule."

20. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

Local coin shop uses a hard surface underneath and a hammer to the corner for NGC slabs.

geekpryde likes this.
  21. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

For NGC slabs, wrap in a towel. Place on hard floor/concrete on long edge, and give it a couple or three good whacks with a hammer along the long edges of the slab. The holder will split at the seams, and with a little practice will not even create any little shards. :)

geekpryde and thetracer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted