Well .. I did it! Julius Caesar

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Firstly I have to say I am shocked and so happy that this happened. The wife and I were out at a neighbors tonight and everyone kept asking why I was looking off into space at times. I am really in shock to be honest that this happened this afternoon. I was expecting to be blown away when bidding.... you have to pick a value and draw a line - and my pre-bid held. I am just numb - I can't believe it.

Very unexpected - the stars just aligned at a time where I had a bit of a budget and the perfect coin (for me.. certainly not for many of you) came together. The right dealer auction - selling in Canadian dollars, not having to worry about shipping, customs, not eBay - 100% lifetime guarantee, etc.. made this something I just had to jump at.

Well here it is:

Caesar-removebg (1).png
    ITALY, THE TRIUMVIRS, Octavian and Divus Julius Caesar, 38 BC. AE (30mm, 16,21g, 3h). Bare head of Octavian right. DIVI F behind / Wreathed head of Divus Julius Caesar right; DIVOS IVLIVS. RRC 535/1; RPC I, 620. Good-Very Fine, red-green patina

Firstly I am a fan of large bronze coins - I own quite a few sestertius - they are just so wonderful to hold in hand. So I had been looking at this issue for about a year.. but I really wanted one with "CAESAR" legible and bold .. and of course a nice portrait of the man himself. Every time I had seen one they went for way too much.. or the timing wasn't right for my budget! This portrait is awesome in my opinion.

Quite a few times I almost settled for less .. but I held out (for once being sensible.. a rare thing for me). I am so glad as this one ended up only $80 more than one I was seriously considering .. and that one met none of my stated criteria (but for some reason I was tempted to end the search - just to add a JC). The pricing for this issue is all over the map... you'll see a barely recognizable version for $200 or a half decent one list at $1000.. this are the extremes - but this one came in at a nice number for it's grade. I am not saying I got a deal (but I think I did when you convert from Canadian dollars) - but I am saying I got my "forever" coin. I will not be looking to upgrade - ever. This is my JC.

I am also apologizing in advance to all for a couple of reasons...
    -I am too excited to provide a proper write up on the history of this coin.. but that will follow in the weeks ahead...
    -You will see this darn coin posted twice a month for the next 20 years.

Cheers!!!

Please show your Julius Caesar coins or any "forever coin" you never plan on upgrading.

Life is good.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    FrizzyAntoine, Egry, eparch and 49 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I am so glad you got that coin, probably the best value in an overpriced auction most went unsold when I looked again at it a few hours ago, and thought to myself the only coin worth the money was the JC you bought, big congratulations you deserve it.

Egry and Clavdivs like this.
  4. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

Nice, i saw that one + it seemed like the only coin in the auction that didn't have a starting bid that was 3 times too high..

Clavdivs likes this.
  5. AussieCollector

AussieCollector Moderator Moderator

Wow, congratulations!

Clavdivs likes this.
  6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats Clavdivs. Much better then the average for this issue.
    Here's mine:

P1140140 julius caesar italian mint.jpg

7. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

That's a beauty of a coin Clavdivs.

Clavdivs likes this.
  8. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

Congratulations very nice! Great that you were able to get this.

Clavdivs likes this.
  9. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

A very nice catch, nice portraits, color and size. Such a nice addition deserves to be posted many times! Thrilling it must be to have that one added to your collection, after waiting a long time. Sometimes patience is for the best.

Here is mine of JC. A portrait issue is on my want list, but its a bit too much modern coin for me for now.

Caesar no tekst.jpg

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Congratulations, @Clavdivs ! Your story of the Hunt is what really makes this Hobby! Well done, and such a great coin! That is a bug sized Caesar that will be unmistaken when you show it.

Well done.

Here is one of my Caesar, that I like to say he minted around the time of his struggling to cross the Rubicon:

[​IMG]
    RR Julius Caesar AR Denarius 49 BCE Traveling Mint Elephant-Pontificates Sear 1399 Craw 443-1
    (Copper surface deposit, probly from coin cache.)

11. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Very interesting coin AND with a most attractive patina.

Clavdivs likes this.
  12. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Very splendid coin @Clavdivs . Nice catch in a very disappointing auction. Just like you I was excited to bid in a Canadian dealer auction. But the prices were not realistic at all. No wonder why about 90% of the lots were unsold in the « roman coin category ».

Clavdivs likes this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

14. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

Which auction was this? Just curious.

15. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Wow, big time congrats to you, @Clavdivs!!! I too am a fan of AE, especially the big and chunky type, and you picked up a gem! I'm totally jealous now! I don't have a JC myself yet.

Clavdivs likes this.
  16. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

17. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. I saw this posted here or Facebook or somewhere a week or so ago. Thanks for the link.

Wow, a lot of unsold lots.

18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Congrats, @Clavdivs! I can see why you're thrilled with the acquisition. I can see it sitting pretty in that awesome refurbished coin cabinet of yours for years to come. :)
    My JC is one of those that comes to mind as a coin I never plan on upgrading. Just as well since I doubt I'd ever have the budget to. :D

Julius Caesar - New 2017.jpg JULIUS CAESAR
    AR Denarius. 3.77g, 19mm. Rome mint, struck by L. Aemilius Buca, February - March 44 BC. Crawford 480/8; Sydenham 1061; RCV 1411. O: CAESAR DICT PERPETVO , wreathed head of Caesar facing right. R: L BVCA , Venus standing left, holding Victory and a sceptre.
    Ex David Sellwood Collection; ex Seaby Coin & Medal Bulletin (1 Oct 1977), lot 793

19. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

Nice catch, @Clavdivs! Congratulations!
    Here one of my JC. I have few, but I like this one, despite to be a fourrée, because the fantastic historical period and context involved:
    AED3056C-A23D-4A36-838A-798A291F8C9E.jpeg
    Julius Caesar. April 44 BC. Fourrée Denarius 19mm, 2.89 g. C. Cossutius Maridianus, moneyer. Laureate and veiled head right; apex behind, lituus before / Legend arranged in form of cross; A A A F • F in angles. For prototype: Crawford 480/19; CRI 112; Sydenham 1069; RSC 8.

20. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

Congrats on a great acquisition!

Clavdivs likes this.
  21. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Way to go! That certainly is something special!
    I recently purchased my first lifetime portrait coin of the real JC. Nothing to write home about but still very happy to have him:
    F46D4765-23B4-49DB-BD70-B5DEBA68590E.png

Julius Caesar
    P. Sepullius Macer - Venus Denarius,lifetime issue Feb-March 44 BC. Moneyer P. Sepullius Macer. Obv: CAESAR DICT PERPETVO legend with laureate and veiled head of Gaius Julius Caesar right. Rev: P SEPVLLIVS MACER legend with Venus standing left, holding Victory in right hand, and sceptre set on shield in left. 20mm, 3.18 grams. Crawford 480/13; Sydenham 1074; RSC 39; Sear 1414. Fine. Scarce. Ex-Savoca

F1BF8C09-1972-488F-85C5-0727C057ADAC.png
    Augustus with Divus Julius Caesar
    (27 BC-14 AD) MACEDON. Thessalonica. Obv: ΘEOΣ.
    Wreathed head of Julius Caesar right; uncertain c/m on neck.
    Rev: ΘEΣΣAΛONIKEΩN.
    Bare head of Augustus right; Δ below. RPC I 1554.
    Fine. 12.3 g.21 mm.

Former: Numismatik Naumann

Draft saved Draft deleted