Well hammered!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by clanger, Jun 12, 2019.

1. clanger

clanger Well-Known Member

I thought I'd share these three poor specimens that I found awhile back ! I don't expect anyone to be able to identify them further. I know one's an Edward groat, or rather was! The bit of rim has to be Henry ? The most complete (wish it were!), is a Stephen penny. At a guess it's the Lincoln mint.
    That's all for now! obverse of Stephen penny.JPG reverse of Stephen penny.JPG A bit lighter shot of obverse.JPG obverse of groat and penny.JPG reverse of groat and penny.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

A shame about that Stephen! They are usually in a shoddy state, and that one wouldn’t be bad if it were whole

4. clanger

I've found the remains of three Stephen pennies over the years, as you say they are usually rough to put it mildly, shame the farm machine beat me to this one though. I did try to find the rest of it, but the ground was saturated so it could have ended up anywhere..the treads of a tractors wheels even! It was definately a day of sobs.

FitzNigel likes this.
  5. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

Despite being damaged, those are still some very interesting coins clanger. Your groat is Edward IV based on the lettering, but not enough remains to determine the mint or issue. The small rim fragment could be Henry II, Richard, John, or Henry III as they all issued short cross pennies in the name of Henry II. It well be very difficult, if not impossible, to determine anything beyond that. The pellet stops on the reverse came after the moneyer name and the word ON. The letters ER which are visible on your coin are from the moneyer's name which means it could be Walter, Ilger, Osber, Roger, or any other moneyer that ends in ER. Some of those names were active at different mints too.

Severus Alexander and Ryro like this.
  6. clanger

Wow! I can't thank you enough for all this information! I'd really consigned them to forever being unknown! You're amazing !

Draft saved Draft deleted