Well, did I overpay? 3-Cent Silver

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by HappyHighway, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I agree 1 million percent.

I've got several subcollections I'm working on simultaneously, which allows me to wait for the coin without going so long without buying that I start making mistakes. ;)

I've got a US type set going, based on the Dansco 7070 album (including the gold page), Whitman Bookshelf US Type albums, and the PCGS Complete US Type registry set plus its NGC counterpart. I could probably have completed the basic 7070 by now, minus gold, if I were just looking to fill holes. Instead, I'm looking for coins with exceptional eye appeal, and, preferably some pretty colors going on. For example (these are all my coins, but not my photos):

1901 Barber Half.png 1917 Standing Liberty Quarter T1 ANACS MS65 FH.png 1923 Peace Dollar PCGS MS64.png 1964-D quarter (1).png TrueView_33547640_Large.jpg
    1804 dollar (1).png
    Because I've been able to be patient, I love every single one of these coins and will probably never sell them in my lifetime, unless something truly grave happens.

Oh, and speaking of anonymous folles: I plan on nabbing at least a couple of these at some point, too. It's not exactly the wisest time to be spending money right now, but, when things get better, I intend to take my time and find one with a bold reverse legend and a well-formed nose on Jesus Christ. :)

Mainebill likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Those are the common features those who look for types look for. If you want to collectors the whole series, I wrote an article about them you can find if you google twin cities ancient coin club. We keep some past writeups there. One thing I should change on it, the Class E is actually rarer than I state on it, but not as rare as F or H in my view.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

As for the OP, I don't think you overpaid, while personally I am in the $90 area on this coin. (If it is straight grades.) A good point was made earlier that this coin falls in between 2 grading areas. In USA coin book (high retail) they list VF 20 at $75 and XF 40 at $128. These coins are difficult to grade because they are so tiny. I am closer to VF 25/30. If it were to grade XF 40 then $110 is a good price. If it grades
    VF-30 then again I am back to $90. It really doesn't matter. If you like the coin and plan on keeping it in your collection for 20-30 years you will make a profit when the day comes to sell it. However, once you add grading fees on top of your $110 purchase price, now it is overpriced (to me). It's all relative.

5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Love your taste in coins. Ask rodney. He collects those

6. Cheech9712

7. Cheech9712

Brilliant

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Cheech9712

Y are you downgrading. Your loosing me