Weird yellow penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by faeylin, Jul 5, 2007.

1. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Did you read the rest of the thread?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kathleen RoyKatK

Kathleen RoyKatK New Member

I have a 1977 D penny and its bright goldish coloring uncirculated condition..i live in mn and am not sure where to take to learn about it ..

4. frankjg

post a picture

5. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

They're all plated -

352sdeer likes this.
  6. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

I have made gold, silver, and yellow looking 1 cent coins in a dry no oil cast iron skillet in my younger years.

7. Jandriene

Jandriene New Member

Hi. I know this thread is old, but I am trying to find help/info re my yellow/gold 1964 Lincoln penny. The pics attached make it look a bit more copper-y but in reality it is yellow/gold in color. It is also very detailed. I can see more details of hair and bowtie, etc, compared to a standard 1964 penny. Any info would be great.it also seems to have a more satin, nonreflective appearance. Thank you.
    Sorry I am unable to take better photos as of now..if someone can zoom in. . Also attached is a regular 1962 penny.

Attached Files:

8. frankjg

Hard to tell from your photos. Please take clear photos and crop out all of the background. That will make it easier for others to see the detail that you see.

Aside from that, it's either regular environmental toning or someone painted or plated it a long time ago and it's wearing off.

Either way, it's only worth one cent.

Welcome to CT!

9. Jandriene

Jandriene New Member

I thought so at first, too, but the fine, explicit visible details threw me. Once my real camera charges, I will see if I can get better pix. And sorry for the one cent, older penny attached..I did not mean to send that. This weird, yellow penny was found in my late mother's old coins that she has had for decades. Thanks for quick response!!

10. frankjg

You should definitely work on the photos (for next time) but that wont change the diagnosis that it is either toning or plated. It will still only be worth one cent.

Plating adds a microscopic layer of metal to the coin, not enough to really obscure the devices.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And gold plating of coins post mint is not uncommon.

12. Jandriene

Jandriene New Member

Thanks.
    Does anyone know the rough value of 1964 JFK half dollars with accented hair and the "I" in "LIBERTY" missing the serif? I see extremely different answers online. If anyone knows...thx

13. Curiouspenny

Curiouspenny New Member

I have a very similar 1996 penny

14. Curiouspenny

Curiouspenny New Member

I have a very similar 1996 penny

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Plated. Here's one of mine:
    GP4.png

16. Jason Bell

Jason Bell New Member

I got one of these 1977 d goldish colored pennies to.have no idea what it is any ideas

17. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

The photos posted here are of a 44 cent, not 64, and these were made from the spent brass shell casings left from the war. It was probably a legitimate yellow coin and a missed opportunity to teach.

18. Jeremy Stahnke

Jeremy Stahnke New Member

I also have a 2003 D very yellow in color almost a gold color ive kept around other pennys and seems to be a copper spot on it

19. frankjg

ok... noted

20. Coincollecter101

Coincollecter101 New Member

does anyone know what my 2017 P penny that isn't quite yellow, but definitely more yellow than a normal penny is? also, if anyone knows, what is the price of an impaired 2016 canadian proof quarter is?

21. Angry Feminist

Angry Feminist New Member

My husband used some metal polish on a 1977 penny that was so dirty we couldn't tell what was just to see what would happen. It's super shiny now and also turned yellow like this. Maybe some other dude also got curious?

Draft saved Draft deleted