Weird tiny lion/scorpion obol (?) coin (Impulse buy)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

So I bought this from a vcoins dealer. I'm not too sure of the attribution he had for this coin, so any help is appreciated. he had it listed as an obol from Mylasa(?)

It's 0.60g and 7.8mm. Is it real? Fake? Is it properly attributed? I've never seen this type of coin before and have zero knowledge of it. It is literally way outside my realm of experience. All I know is that it is the tiniest coin I've bought and I thought the lion(?) looked really interesting, and I kind of liked the scorpion, so I bought it as an impulse buy on vcoins.com. I really should stop with the impulse buys.

Mylasa Lion Scorpion Obol.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looks real to me, although based on various archives it looks like there isn't agreement on the denomination. These lion/scorpion coins were struck in silver and in electrum; the styles vary a bit. A variety of denominations are available.

Here's mine :)

[​IMG]
    CARIA, Mylasa
    450-400 BCE
    AR hemiobol, 7 x 9 mm, 0.5 gm
    Obv: facing forepart of lion
    Rev: scorpion within incuse square
    Ref: SNG von Aulock 7803

Curtisimo, Andres2, Pishpash and 11 others like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

MYLASA, CARIA.jpg
    MYLASA, CARIA
    AR Tetartemorion
    OBVERSE: Lion's head left with reversed foreleg below
    REVERSE: Lion's scalp facing, flanked by leg on both sides, in incuse circle
    Struck at Mylasa, 392-376 BC
    .2g, 6mm
    SNG Keckman I 837-846 (lion left)

Curtisimo, Pishpash, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  5. Sallent

Nice! I didn't know the style of these coins showed so much variety. I love the fat scorpion on yours, and the lion looks more modern/realistic. I think mine trends towards the cartoonish side...which is something that I'll admit attracted me to this coin. I kid you not, from the time I accidentally came across it to the time I hit the buy button, it was probably 30 seconds. It was truly an impulsive reaction.

PS: Is 7mm to 8mm as tiny as Greeks get? These coins make a dime look huge.

TJC likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

They can be quite a bit smaller. We've had some threads showcasing our smallest coins. Doug has a nice collection of tiny Greeks. My smallest is 5 mm and 0.26 gm; it is downright beefy compared to some tiny treasures :)

[​IMG]
    MACEDONIA, uncertain
    c. 500 BCE
    AR trihemitetartemorion (trihemiobol), 5 mm, 0.26 gm
    Obv: monkey squatting left
    Rev: round shield or pellet within incuse square
    Ref: "Uncertain Thraco-Macedonian Coins, Part II", Nomismatika Khronika (1998, Tzamalis), 67

Curtisimo, Pishpash, zumbly and 8 others like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

As you can see in my previous post, mine is only 6mm and .2g

Sallent likes this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Sallent , that is a GREAT coin! Great job capturing. I REALLY like that one!

I have a few small Greeks:

Mysia Kyzikos AR Hemiobol 480-450 BCE 0-4g Boar-Lion Sear 3850.JPG
    Mysia Kyzikos AR Hemiobol 480-450 BCE 0.4g Boar-Lion Sear 3850.JPG

Iona Kolophon AR Tetartemorion 530-520 BCE Archaic Apollo Incuse Punch 0-15g 4-5mm O-R.jpg
    Iona Kolophon AR Tetartemorion 530-520 BCE Archaic Apollo Incuse Punch
    0.15g 4-5mm O-R.jpg

My smallest is Persian Achaemenid:

upload_2016-10-1_14-24-9.png
    Persian Achaemenid Empire Darius I 510-486 BC AR 0.11g 5mm Persian hero-king in running-kneeling position Oblong incuse Klein 758 Rare O-R.JPG

I THINK that @dougsmit has something at 0.09g or lower...

Curtisimo, Andres2, Pishpash and 8 others like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes but it is always hard to tell where original size leaves off and weight loss to the ages begins. Also the scales most of us own claim two decimal points but that last one is not accurate or even repeatable according to calibration and whims. My Rhegion fraction weighed just now gave 0.10g and the Syracuse hexas below it 0.09g but both have weighed less on my earlier scales and on this one on other days. I don't see how calibration can be accurate when it is done with a 100g weight as most do. I would like one that allowed a calibration at something like 5g but getting an accurate standard weight that size would be as expensive as my scales so I make do and say the last digit is meaningless. Just because you buy a standard weight that says x.yzg does not mean that that z is a zero or, for that matter that the y is. The US Mint claims the five cent nickel weighs 5.000g but weigh a handful and tell me how many weight the same even to .01g. Use new nickels so you can't claim wear. The two I now have in pocket with recent dates were 4.95 and 5.01.
    g00310bb1988.jpg g00420bb0595.jpg

10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Sallent likes this.
  11. Sallent

Slightly bigger than my OP coin are these fractional Greek coins.

Massalia (Gaul) Obol.jpg
    Massalia Obol

Kyzicos Boar Hemiobol.jpg
    Kyzicos Boar hemiobol

Both are also tiny compared to any modern coinage out there. I'm starting to really like these tiny Greek fractional coins. They really are proof that size isn't everything. It's not about the size, but what you do with it, and it's incredible how much the ancient Greeks did when it came to engraving and design of these tiny little coins.

Curtisimo, Mikey Zee, Andres2 and 8 others like this.
  12. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I have a few impulse buy coins that are totally outside of my narrow field of interest and knowledge. It usually happens when a perfect storm of forces come together. A computer, a slow period at work (usually a Friday afternoon), a paid off credit card, and that website that seems to keep popping up unexpectedly called VCoins.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Johndakerftw, TIF and Sallent like this.
  13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Cool OP-score, Sallent ...

last one a.jpg
    lion scorpion aa.jpg last one b.jpg lion scorpion bb.jpg

=> welcome to the Scorpion Club!!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Curtisimo, Mikey Zee, Andres2 and 9 others like this.
  14. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

That was a great concert 1987 I believe. World wide live tour.
    Had front row to that one. John Butcher Axis opened, JBA great guitarist but not much of a band, don't think it lasted very long.
    Scorpions were here for rocklahoma this year was like a farewell tour for them.
    Put on a great show.

stevex6 likes this.
  15. Deacon Ray

Here's an impulse buy that I have no buyer's remorse over. A Roman Domitian Denarius. It's sort of within my field of interest because it's borderline Biblical.

ROMAN.jpg

16. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Can't you hear it? It's saying free me from this tomb, lol.
    Cool coin

Jwt708, Sallent and Deacon Ray like this.
  17. Deacon Ray

I know but I can't help it. My first love was a slabbed ancient.

Smojo likes this.
  18. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Total winner! Great big pics of lilliputian coins make them look rough. If you haven't bought a fractional this small before, you will be amazed at the coin in hand. So much detail in such a small space. Good choice!

Alegandron and Sallent like this.
  19. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice type... I'll eventually need one of them.

I think there are smaller denominations, but the tetartemorions seem to be easiest of the tiny fractions to get. Mine is just under 5mm.

[​IMG]
    IONIA, Teos
    AR Tetartemorion
    0.14g, 4.7mm
    Circa 540-478 BC
    Cf. CNG 63, lot 506
    O: Head of griffin left.
    R: Quadripartite incuse square with raised central pellet.

And for perspective, here it is next to a grain of rice.
    [​IMG]

20. Sallent

Got the coin today. Makes a nice earmuff for President Roosevelt.

FDR Earmuff .jpg

21. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Lawyer => I'm glad that your cool new scorpion arrived, safe & sound (tiny lil' things, eh?)

:rolleyes:

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving weekend!!

Draft saved Draft deleted