Weird reverse?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Everett Guy, Feb 4, 2021.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I like my pizza with sun dried tomatos/ double bacon crumbles/ mushrooms/ garlic/ roasted red peppers!

Everett Guy and yakpoo like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Classicists have long referred to this event as “The Rape of the Sabine Women.” I suspect the word rape was chosen principally for linguistic reasons, with rape coming from Latin raptus, which means the seizure or taking of something. Of course, the sexual assault dimension of that word might be implied. But I suspect the first persons to apply the term to this event might’ve had a more semantically generous understanding of the word.

I am certainly not one to soft-pedal sexual assault. In the Roman world, one out of three persons was a slave, and the sexual abuse of persons in that world, especially slaves, was sadly routine.

But some take this event, “the rape of the Sabine women“ to be a metaphor for the strife between Rome and its hostile neighbors in the early days of Rome’s formation.

Perhaps the appeal to metaphor may reflect discomfort with the literal reading. Even in our own day, assault survivors face difficulties being believed.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  4. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

The gal on the right looks like she's getting an "over-the-knee" spanking. The guy's arm is moving up and down as the woman kicks her legs and screams.
    (Sorry...just describing what I see)

spank.jpg

Everett Guy likes this.
  5. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

Do the rulers pick the images on the coins, do you know by chance? I always wondered .

6. Everett Guy

I orignally thought that they were carrying dead people. I thought "what the heck is this?". I seen the sex position type coins, I wasnt even sure if those were real old roman coins or a modern type copy set. Those were sort or comical.

yakpoo likes this.
  7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

The guys look like they're wearing pumps...which would explain the weird calf muscles.

Everett Guy likes this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

9. Everett Guy

10. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Pizza is food of the gods, no doubt, but it deserves to be noted that no ancient Roman ever set eyes on a tomato, nor a pepper.

Alegandron, Everett Guy and Volodya like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted