Weird Reeding on 1965 Nickel

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kay67, May 12, 2024.

1. Kay67

Kay67 Member

I found this nickel with weird marks around part way of the outer rim, they look like reeds from another coin. I don't know which, I compared them to dimes and quarters and the lines do not match. It could be environmental damage, but the lines are near perfect, and do not bleed onto the rim.

Also, it looks as if there might be some doubling above the 5 in 1965, but I can not be sure. I can't get a good picture of it. The reverse looks as if it might have been broad struck, also I am unsure of that. It is normal weight.

Has anyone seen something like this?

Attached Files:

JPD3 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Kay, The 1965 date has die deterioration damage, very common as a very worn out die was used , so no extra vslue. The reeding appears to be Post mint damage. Most of the ones I have seen are human altered to try and sell on EBay, Itsy, etc. for more than face value. Odten things look really odd and people think it must be rare and valuable. Stick around you will see many, but after a while you can determine what is mint made and what is faked. Jim

Dynoking likes this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hello and Welcome to CT. ! biggrin.gif

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You have what is known as DDD or die detestation doubling. It’s very common and only worth face value.
    Welcome to CT.

6. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

@Kay67. Welcome aboard. I agree with @desertgem concerning after mint damage and a late stage die. Continue to search and post. Don't become discouraged if you don't find a valuable error right off. The search is half the fun. Enjoy the hobby.
    :)

Dynoking likes this.
  7. Kay67

Kay67 Member

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. The thing is about this nickel, it was in a jar that sat untouched for over 30 years, long before the internet. Its just weird.

8. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I think that you will see the same straight lines on the edge on many if not all uncirculated nickels. Look at an unc roll in a clear tube sometime.
    I believe this is caused when the planchets are punched out of the sheets of metal.
    After a fairly short time in circulation they will disappear.

9. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Or drag lines from being pushed out of the collar.

JPD3 likes this.
  10. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

I’m kind of glad @Kay67 posted this… I had noticed the rims of nickels like that and had assumed it wasn’t a big deal, the explanations in here have been very helpful.

11. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Those edge markings are typical of non-reeded edge coins that have been liberated from being "encased" in some aluminum token.

Z

Draft saved Draft deleted