weird penny i found at work

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by coinrookie85, Jul 24, 2012.

1. coinrookie85

coinrookie85 Member

ok, so im sure this bad boy is worth about 1 cent, but found this guy rather interesting...im not even going to guess what is wrong with this coin and leave it to the heavy hitters.

IMG_5804.jpg
    IMG_5806.jpg

has a really weird texture, but if you enlarge the photo you can see a section on the obverse and reverse where coin is "normal". regardless of value, it will be going into my cool collection.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

Looks like a normal penny to me that's possibly been hit with something similar to a sandpaper surface. Does the coin have sharp edges and reflective surfaces? If so, the coin is probably an (impaired) proof. Interesting find!

4. coinrookie85

coinrookie85 Member

the edges arent too sharp, and on the penny in the "clean section" looks like it would have a normal buisness strike color

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

6. coinrookie85

coinrookie85 Member

acid job? So somebody attempted to clean it before

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

More likely a chemistry class experiment or something like that rather than an attempt at cleaning. A strong acid would do something like that.

8. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

I agree. It wasn't dipped though, due to the center of the obverse not having the pitting. Not sure how they would do that.

9. coinrookie85

coinrookie85 Member

Also section on reverse doesnt have pitting, just not as much as obverse

10. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I believe it chemical damage. Either something got spilled on it or it went through a solvent bath. Possibly intentional, maybe not. Yep, that goes in the "too cool to toss in the coinstar box".

11. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Definately acid damage.

Draft saved Draft deleted