Weird Penny From Pocket Change

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Reino98, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Reino98

Reino98 Young Numismatist (Birthday shown is wrong I'm 16)

Hello Everyone!
    I am a new collector, and I am trying to gather as much information about coins as I can from more experienced collectors.:)
    ------------------------------I received this penny today in change. It appeared to be a normal, 2009 penny, but then I took a second look. On the reverse, there appeared to be a young man sitting on a log. Is this one of the presidents? Was this coin defaced by a private company? Is this coin part of a set? Thanks for the help!
    (Obverse) image.jpg

(Reverse) image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent (which, in 1909, commemorated the 100th anniversary of Lincoln's birth), the Mint issued four special reverse designs in 2009. All cents minted in 2009 had one of these four designs.

[​IMG]

4. Reino98

Very cool! I'll keep looking for the other ones! Thanks for responding!

5. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

They are very common and you should be able to see them around a good bit !! But they are getting a little less common to see !!

6. carvols

carvols New Member

I think the "E" in United looks bent or something?

7. Reino98

Oh wow... I think you might be right carvols. Its very hard to tell though... Never even noticed, thanks for pointing it out!

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Depending on where you are. I've seen four of them in change so far one log cabin, two rail spliter, and one Illinois statesman. And I've been watching for them for five years.

Draft saved Draft deleted