Weird Outer Rim 2008 Canada Penny Obverse Side only

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Dave from the country, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Hi All,
    I have never seen a rim on a coin that has been affected or damaged or altered as has been the outer rim only on this 2008 Canadian penny...and only on the obverse side. This surely could only have happened during the minting process. A defective collar... a defective planchet. I don`t know. There is no damage to any other parts of the coin on its obverse or reverse sides. Does anyone out there recognize what may have happened to this coin's rim on the one side. I have included 2 photos of the reverse side which is perfectly fine. Many WIN_20210615_11_06_28_Pro.jpg WIN_20210615_11_06_33_Pro.jpg WIN_20210615_11_06_37_Pro.jpg WIN_20210615_11_06_40_Pro.jpg WIN_20210615_11_07_11_Pro.jpg WIN_20210615_11_06_49_Pro.jpg WIN_20210615_11_06_57_Pro.jpg WIN_20210615_11_07_44_Pro.jpg WIN_20210615_11_07_50_Pro.jpg WIN_20210615_11_08_05_Pro.jpg thanks. Dave

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

show the reverse

4. The 6th and 7th photos in the original posting are of the reverse. Here are more. WIN_20210615_11_50_59_Pro.jpg WIN_20210615_11_51_11_Pro.jpg WIN_20210615_11_51_17_Pro.jpg WIN_20210615_11_51_24_Pro.jpg WIN_20210615_11_51_38_Pro.jpg are of the reverse. Here are more

5. I realized a question as to the edge of the coin might arise. Here is a sample photo of the rim edge. It is smooth and without any marks, errors or blemishes around its entire circumference. WIN_20210615_11_56_24_Pro.jpg

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Dave from the country

What makes you think that it isn't just circulation damage on the edge? Just because you've never seen one like it means nothing.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  7. Well, I've probably seen plus several hundred thousand coins up close so I thought that might count for something. Also, I am pretty mechanically adept and there are no "grip" marks on the coin that would (in my opinion) have had to occur if the coin was held while it was being defaced and lastly, that is simply my choice of words and I apologize for harming your sensibilities, which was not my intention. Now...do you have anything positive to contribute or are you simply one of those lifetime members of the AH brigade that are so predominant these days.

8. And I guess I'll add that I've been collecting coins for certainly well over 60 years and have well over 200,000 coins in my collection...so if that doesn't allow me to express my thoughts and opinions on this site then it's not for me...and who the heck are you...some good-old-boy with an exaggerated opinion of yourself....eh!!!!

9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Hi Dave, first off I can sometimes come across as curt or direct even to a fault, sometimes I'm not in the mood to beat around the bush. Forgive me in advance, I can't help but notice your first reply of any other opinion than yours has been met with a defensive posture from you and I'm not trying to do that also.

Can you explain your theory on how it would happen in the minting process? What it would take to reproduce the effect using only the minting press dies and equipment there?

How it could happen in circulation doesn't really matter, it could happen a whole bunch of ways. easy enough to drop a penny on the sidewalk, step on it and drag it once or twice and recreate the damage. could have got caught up and spun around a couple times in a coin counting machine even while hung up.

So what part of the minting process would do something like what you see because if you can't identify that, then it's most certainly post mint damage. this is not a broken collar, or a pre striking damaged planchet. this isn't a cud, pre-cud or clashed rim dies.

I'm not suggesting it was held, or to know even how it occurred exactly, I just can't identify a part of the minting process that would do this, and if that's the case, then it must of happened after minting.

Doesn't really matter how many coins you've looked at either, we've all looked and thousands upon thousands of coins, some of us even researched reference materials too!
    You should be able to identify and articulate HOW it happens in the minting process or you're grasping at straws to explain post mint damage as a mint made error just because it caught your eye and looks odd to you. This doesn't justify it as "mint caused" either, just because you haven't seen one like it until now.

Too harsh? maybe, but that the straight up truth, no sugar coating and it's factual.

10. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hey, all I can say, is Welcome to Coin Talk . Some Stay and some go but rudeness makes a dull boy blue .
    You have to admit. It's silly to argue over a darn Penny . :hilarious:

11. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

Looks like mild road rash to me... rim protected inner details. 200 000 Coins can make you start seeing things ;)

John Burgess likes this.
  12. cpm9ball

Well, shucks, Davey old boy, it seems we are 'bout the same age, and I've been collectin' nigh on to 65 years m'self. An I think I probly seen 'n handled almos a few million coins in my life. I surely hope ya don't mind if'n I move my speetoon a lil closer so's I don't mess up the floor. Ya see, I'm already gonna haf to clean up the load of crap yur slingin' round an I don't want to hafta work any harder.

Ya know, Davey, I might suggest that ya don't get too close to the old wood burner. With yore thin skin, ya might overcook a tad bit. In the meantime, gimme some dang proof since ya know so much.

There! Is that sugar coatin' nuff for you?

13. I didn't look at them all at the same time...lol. I've been collecting for years but have not until now had an opportunity to devote time to the "error" coins which is what drew me to this site. Previously I have just set them aside. I will never live long enough to go through them all...my son will take over one of these days.

14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'll just throw these two out there to see if one sticks. Possibly something like what we call a railroad rim cent? Or someone's attempt to grind down for an encased cent? No other thoughts come to mind at the moment.

15. I too have handled millions of coins in my life but I didn't want to brag as you have done inasmuch as having don so is meaningless. 65 years collecting experience or 1 year's collecting experience 65 times. I expect you are of the latter genre. I was a banker/collector for over 50 years and was simply referring to the ones I have in my collection. As far as crap...It seems you are pretty much full of it. I find you distasteful and annoying and am leaving this site now permanently and immediately. This will be my last post. Life is too short to put up with annoying people like you who seem to haunt these websites and seek to make them proprietary and "about you" instead of about the wonderful hobby of coin collecting...Oh yes, and may I, in conclusion, suggest you buy a dictionary and find someone to teach you how to use it? You really need to try and improve your skills. Cheers AH

16. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

tragic developments....

17. CygnusCC

CygnusCC Roping the Learns Supporter

Can't take you boys anywhere...

18. cpm9ball

Why Davey boy, I don't know why you'd think that I need a dictionary. You seemed to have understood my meaning just perfectly.

Oh, please, please, please say it's true that you will leave and not come back.

19. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Gee, am I too late to the party to say Rim Damage ?

tommyc03, CygnusCC and Oldhoopster like this.
  20. cpm9ball

Sorry, Fred! You just missed the guest of honor. He slithered out, I mean, he snuck out the back door.

Draft saved Draft deleted