Weird looking Kennedy half dollar

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Beardigger, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Found this strange Kennedy half dollar today. It looks like it should come apart but I can’t get it to. It’s under weight at 10.3 gems. The top and bottom edge stick out a little and the reeding is sunk. Looks almost like Railroad Tracks. I vaguely remember something posted here about a railroad track edge error. Just wondering if this could be that or if I should keep trying to open it. I know magician coins usually have 2 heads or tails. But this looks normal. Thanks in advance for any input!

E5AAA9F1-BE51-4DF5-8204-EFF0378F7080.jpeg E5193095-E3B4-40ED-837F-9E9BB461CF5C.jpeg 324FDD9F-DCBD-4C43-8A7B-D2B2790A0ECE.jpeg CA465CA5-7E23-4873-9C8A-AF126E6B8023.jpeg 28C65406-0911-4B14-B0F9-7B709838DA5E.jpeg 10F6F1A0-1E09-4370-A8E8-D9EC0F496019.jpeg

JeffC, CoinJockey73 and fretboard like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Strange Kennedy, the reverse looks like it could be a casted fake! Interesting find! Maybe place it in a bowl of water, see if it absorbs the water by weighing it afterwards! :DAfter that, idk!

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That's corroded. Either by something like acid or sitting in the soil. The copper core will go before the nickel outer part.
    When "railroad rims" are mentioned, it is usually referring to a partial collar.
    1866 5 Cents - Rays (89).png 1866 5 Cents - Rays (93).JPG

Oldhoopster and JeffC like this.
  5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think you coin has been in an acid bath which has dissolved the copper core and damaged both faces.

-jeffB likes this.
  6. Beardigger

Thanks for the input! I wont waste anymore time trying to open it. The reeding is still there, just dirty and doesn't show well in the pics. An overzealous acid bath makes sense. I appreciate the answers! Thank You!

alurid and CoinJockey73 like this.
  7. Beardigger

@furryfrog02 Thanks for the pics of the RR rim! Very Helpful!

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  8. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

9. Beardigger

Nope. Actually that "Recent Haul" was a complete dud. No Silver at all, but about 38 NIFC's that's all. Actually, I was at my bank going to make a deposit after dupming the "recent haul" and my teller called me over to tell me she got a box of halves yesterday which she didn't order and was just about to call me when I walked in. Of course I took them, and found 2 Franklins and a 1967 Kennedy in them along with the above coin.. So a little silver score today was nice.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    -jeffB and CoinJockey73 like this.
  10. CoinJockey73

2 Franklins? Hot dog! You got me jealous, even with the day i had! Glad you got some good stuff.

11. Beardigger

Yep I saw your doubles haul today! Nice finds for sure! I was really happy to find Franklins! I love em. I have one for my Birthyear......but hoping to find another one. I know I could buy a nice one reasonably, but I like the thrill of the hunt! Was only 1 year off today!

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  12. CoinJockey73

Can you imagine, you sent me that San Antonio because i couldn't break double digits, and I've found three since, lol. Thanks again for that swap. Still can't find anymore AMP though, and no one wants to swap for circulated :(

13. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

looks like acid (and not the good kind!!)

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  14. Beardigger

Draft saved Draft deleted