Weird effect on fields - die issue, planchet issue or PMD?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Taxidermist, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

I noticed this "rays" effect on fields of 10 New Israeli Shekel from 2004. I can describe it as rays of different finish going from the center towards the rim. The fields got normal regular finish while the rays got more mirror-like finish, which makes very unusual effect when you look at the luster. Under certain light angle, it is very clear that the rays are reflective and the rest of the coin is normal matte, just like it supposed to be. The other side is normal, no issues at all.

I looked at it for a very long time, under a loupe, and I am certain this is not toning.

Disregard the fact this is a foreign and bimetallic coin, have you ever seen this effect on another coin?

Is it a planchet flaw, die "repairs"/partial polishing, strike issue inside the press or just PMD?

Please click and see enlraged photos.

10nis2.jpg 10nis1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like these images have been photo-shopped. Can you take normal photos from directly overhead?

Chris

4. Taxidermist

You wont see it overhead, this is why I had no other option but to shot from an angle.

Not photoshoped, only edited to reduce size.

5. cpm9ball

It is impossible to take photos in such a manner without "playing with the images". Unless the coin is curved or bent, you cannot show the edges at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock with a face of the coin between them.

Did you really take these photos, or did you copy them from another source?

Chris

6. Taxidermist

I did not play with the images, the coin is not bent. I could not find a photo out of these 8 I show here where you see edges at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock.

I got the coin in hand and I took those photos 10 min before making the original post.

Now considering I am telling the truth, lets imagine that for a moment, any actual ideas?

7. cpm9ball

If you are telling the truth, then the coin must have at least four sides (facets).......the reeded edge is one; the smooth edge is another, and then there are to two faces (obverse & reverse).

Chris

8. Taxidermist

This coin got reeded edge and it is not the issue. Light and reflection make it look like there is smooth edge on two of the images, its a distortion, ignore that.

9. cpm9ball

Forget it! Get someone else to answer your question. If there isn't a smooth edge, then you must have used some sort of imagery to produce these photos. Otherwise you should be able to take photos from directly overhead. Tata!

Chris

10. Taxidermist

This was an attempt to answer my question?! I thought, by mistake of course, that this was an attempt to uncover my elaborate conspiracy to waste everyone's time by presenting unrealistic photoshopped images.

If someone else got similar doubts, I`ve uploaded a video. Any comments regarding the nature of this effect are welcome.

Jump to 0:52, it got the best angle.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  11. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

FWIW, I think cpm9ball is seeing the remnants of background left behind from your round crop, as if those were smooth edges of the coin. If you look at it that way, then yes the coins would have to be bent :)

Sorry I'm not enough of a coin guy to have seen these rays before though, so I'm no help.

Taxidermist likes this.
  12. Taxidermist

I think you`re right, its my fingers/hand in the background, not smooth edge.

13. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I think the "ray" effect may be resulting from metal flow, especially as it radiates out from the center to towards the edges. I have seen something similar on other coins, with some areas seeming more reflective and others more matte.

14. Taxidermist

What might be the reason? I`ve never seen it on this type of coin, can it be considered an error?

15. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I can't really answer those questions dude, sorry

16. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I have some state quarters that have a similar appearance of matte and polished areas. A couple members told me it may be grease on the die. Also the state quarters had some that were satin finished and the mint used those dies on business strikes also. Or its polishing of the die. State Die Varieties 019.JPG

Taxidermist likes this.
  17. Taxidermist

I tend to believe it is die polishing, could be grease too. Thanks a lot for showing the photo.

Question is, can this be considered an error, how rare something like this is, and is it worth keeping.

18. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I am keeping the ones I found until I too can come up with an answer. There are other problems with the coin I showed. Does your coin show any other problems? Is there more polishing on the other side of the coin also.

19. Taxidermist

The coin I got circulted for certain time, definitely not from 2004 when it was minted, much less than that. The other side shows less luster (but there is still some) and the surface looks polished. There are no areas on that side with matte and mirror contrast, it is very even and just looks normal.

Draft saved Draft deleted