Weird Damage?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Coinseh, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Coinseh

Coinseh New Member

Anyone know how this could happen? This 1998 penny has the design “inside out.” Where anything would usually be raised, it’s sunken in. ??? Can anyone provide info? Also the edges are worn down. Don’t have a scale so I don’t know how much it weighs. Just never seen anything like it!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Environmental damage after it left the mint and I suppose some kind of acidic environment. But we will never know unless someone who found it could tell you where it came from.

Coinseh likes this.
  4. Coinseh

Coinseh New Member

Thanks- it was just in a ziploc of coins, so no clue from whence it came.

So, if I understand you, it was worn down somehow, exposing lower layers, which then reacted to something corrosive to the lower layers but not the top layer?

5. I have never seen an incuse penny before; no idea how that could have happened at the mint. Looking at the damage on it and how deeply incused it is, also the lettering is all pretty bad, I'd say it was sand cast.

6. Coinseh

Coinseh New Member

Thank you- What is sand casting?

7. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Google it - also lost wax casting which is more likely. The dimple between the E and C of ONE CENT was a sprue.

Coinseh likes this.
  8. Sand casting, as well as lost wax casting, are methods of pouring molten metal into temporary mold to create a 3-Dimensional object.

Coinseh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted