Weird coin. Chinese? Can't research it anywhere.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lyricfive, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Any of you guys have any feedback on what this coin is and what it may be worth? I can't seem to research it anywhere.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Most likely a fantasy piece modeled after the Taiwan old man dollar

4. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Thank you for your reply. This really helps. I hear these fantasy pieces can be valuable and much sought after. Ideas on what you think it's worth? Coinquest states something in average circulated condition could be worth around $1000.00.

5. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I would be very careful not to get too excited just yet. All Chinese silver dollar-sized coins (and most other Chinese coins of significant value) have been extensively copied and faked, sometimes just as a novelty, sometimes to fool collectors. First, check that your coin is non-magnetic (silver is not attracted to a magnet). If it's magnetic, then it is definitely a modern non-silver fake, worth maybe a dollar or two for novelty value. If it does seem to be good silver... then I would submit it to one of the major companies for certification and slabbing. If they certify the coin and grade it, you can then get a good idea of the value. I would never buy this coin raw, and I hate slabs; but there's just too many fakes for me to feel confident buying this type raw, and most other collectors who would potentially spend hundreds of dollars on this type will feel the same way.

6. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

I did put this up as a "fantasy piece" someone offered me 1300 for it. I saw on conquest most fantasy pieces like this go for about 1000. I explained it is not a genuine coin. We shall see what the buyer says. Hoping they dont demand their money back.

Draft saved Draft deleted