Weighing coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by StephenS, Jan 6, 2006.

1. StephenS

StephenS Member

Hi all,

Several times I've seen folks mention to weigh a coin as one check for it's authenticity. Can anyone suggest how I could do that?

In my red book, the weight of some coins is listed in grains and others in grams. I don't know of any scale that outputs in those units of measure.

Thanks!

-StephenS

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. joesmom

joesmom Member

http://www.brent-krueger.com/scales.html offers scales at a reasonable price in my opinion.
    As for the difference between grains & grams, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along to help you further.

4. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Grams: not the cracker or your mother's mother

Grains to grams is a simple conversion. 1 gram = 15.432 grains. (The Red Book cites "grains" because that is how the original legislation was written. Grams is most common and appears for most U.S. cois.)

You can buy a grams scale from many catalogues for consumer scientifics, such as Fisher or Edmund. Modern, utility gram scales are totally electronic, push of a button, accurate to four, five or six places, and cost less than a couple hundred dollars. You can make do with less -- Red Book usually gives three places: 6.25 grams -- but you need to be careful when you shop for bargains.

5. StephenS

StephenS Member

So, you're saying that I should look for a scale that weighs in grams?

There's a local dealer out here in St. Louis that I'm going to visit tomorrow morning. I'll see if they've got anything.

-StephenS

6. satootoko

satootoko Retired

It really doesn't matter what units you measure in. Just go >>here<< and convert from the units on your scale to the units you want. :D

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you buy a scale just be sure that you buy one that weighs to within 1/100 of a gram.

8. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Decimal pounds? or fractional kilograms?

It does matter. If you get a common spring scale that measures in ounces, it is mostly likely reporting in simple fractions of an ounce. A food scale for dieters is a perfect example -- and they are analog -- even if they are basically electronic. 1 1/2 ounces ... 7 3/4 ounces...

Many kinds of electronic scales will have push-button conversion, at least ounces and grams, with decimal ounces and decimal grams.

Jewelers have electronic scales for working in grains, pennyweights, etc.

If the scale has push-button conversion, then, no, it might not matter.

9. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I suppose to be 100.0000% accurate, I should have pointed out that converting measurements doesn't improve their precision, but I (foolishly) assumed that that would be obvious

10. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I have a decent electronic digital scale which weighs items in grains, grams, troy ounces and carats. There are some out there that have more additional options. I picked up mine for a fairly reasonable price and the weighing options that I needed to weigh coins, gems and precious metals.

Frank

11. Eskychess

Eskychess Senior Member

Is there any way to distinguish 1982 Coppers from 1982 Copper Zincs other than weight? The Copper Zinc is approximately 20% less in weight according to the 'Red Book' ... I've been just FEELING the difference and I think I'm successful, but that method could hardly be considered reliable. If there is any other way than having to purchase a scale, I'd be glad to hear :)

Thanks - Esky

12. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

the easy way (for circulated coins only) is to drop them from a few inches onto a hard table. Listen to the sound they make. The copper ones will have a ring and the zinc ones will have a clank sound.

Or you can use Roy's "balance-a-popsicle-stick/ruler-on-a-pencil" method to compare their weights.

13. Eskychess

Eskychess Senior Member

Very Clever! :) When in doubt always use physics I guess... Thanks for the info! :)

Esky

14. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

coin wieghts

This may sound wierd, but any modern body shop will have scales that can measure grams or ounces. They are very accurate, and if you asked nicely they may help you out,( they may look at you funny, but they may help you!!).

15. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

hmmm, interesting, what is the application? I've been thinking about this for a
    few minutes and I cant figure it out. Thanks!

16. JonySky

JonySky Senior Member

My scale

I bought a scale about a year ago, a Pointscale 5.0. And I am totally satisfied.It reads in grams, ounces, pounds and pennyweight. I calibrated it when I first got it, and it is still dead on. Here is a link to one just like it on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MY-WEIGH-POINTS...ryZ11814QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Be careful not to buy one of the junk kind on ebay, as about 90% of them are. JonySky

17. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

scale

We use the scales to weigh paint when it is being mixed. most formulas use 5 to 10 colors and some are measured in drops, which calls for an accurate scale. sounds trivial but some toners will change a color very fast.
    The scales also work pretty well for checking weight on Cub Scout pinewood derby cars!!!:)

18. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If all else fails and you don't have a scale and really need to weigh a coin - go to any jewelry store. They can weigh it.

Draft saved Draft deleted