Weeell doggies! Sauromates II/Septimius Severus stater

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Oct 22, 2015.

1. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Bosporus-Ebsen-edited-border.jpg
    KINGS OF BOSPORUS, Sauromates II
    Bosporan Era 495 (CE 198/9)
    EL stater, 19 mm, 7.72 gm, 12h
    Obv: BACIΛЄωC CAVPOMATOV; diademed and draped bust of Sauromates right
    Rev: laureate head of Septimius Severus right; pellet to right; ЄЧV (date) below
    Ref: Frolova p. 177 and pl. XXXIII, 9-10 (same dies as illustrations); Anokhin 576a; MacDonald 506/2
    ex Dr. Lawrence A. Adams collection
    ex Buddy Ebsen Collection (Superior, 7 June 1987, lot 4114)

This is a Roman Provincial coin, although in this case "Roman Provincial" means client state. Bosporus during the second century appears to have been only nominally Roman. The client state was allowed autonomy; its rulers could remain kings and their portraits were allowed on locally-produced coinage.

Located along the Black Sea's north shore, the Kingdom of Bosporus' territory changed over the years. As a state, it dates to at least the fifth century BCE and was ruled by kings and tyrants until the death of Mithradates VI. After a turbulent period, in the early years of Augustus' reign the Bosporan Kingdom became a client state of Rome. Except for a period under Nero when their favored status was revoked, the Bosporan Kingdom remained a client state of Rome until being overtaken by Huns in the late fourth century CE.

Tiberius Julius Sauromates II Philocaesar Philoromaios Eusebes, named in honor of a paternal ancestor and former king Sauromates I, ruled from 174 until his death in 210/11. Little is known about his life and rule, although he did defeat the Scythians in 193. And, if this bust is remotely accurate... wowza, what a hottie! :D

[​IMG]
    A great deal more is known about who owned this coin. Dr. Lawrence Adams (1935-2015) was an avid and knowledgable numismatist, collecting gold coins from the entire range of ages, with subspecialties in various areas including coins of the Bosporus.

This coin was also formerly owned by a certain beloved hillbilly, Jed Clampett. I guess that's what a millionaire oilman does with his money :D. Buddy Ebsen (1908-2003), best known as Jed Clampett in the Beverly Hillbillies and later as the title character in Barnaby Jones, was well known as a coin collector. His collection was sold by Superior Coin and Stamp in 1987. I don't have the catalogs but recently spoke to someone who attended that auction; he didn't remember many ancient coins. Apparently Mr. Ebsen was more into US and world coins.

AugustusClampett-captioned.jpg

A little Buddy Ebsen trivia: He was originally cast as the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz but had a severe allergic reaction to the aluminum-laden makeup, necessitating his withdrawal from the film.

Well, that's all for now. Time for some vittles. Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Oh, and please post your coins of Bosporus :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Gorgeous coin TIF! I was wondering when some of the Adams collection was going to start popping up here...

TIF likes this.
  4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

I like you ... you make me smile, my coin-Princess!!

=> wow, that's a fantastic coin!! (yup, that dude is man-crush "hot"!!)

;)

Ummm, would you mind if I posted a couple of my cool examples? (pretty please?)

... I know you rock (thanks)

KINGS of BOSPOROS
    Sauromates II Æ 144 Units

Circa AD 174/5-210/1
    Dameter: 25 mm
    Weight: 9.64 grams
    Obverse: Diademed and draped bust right; rosette before
    Reverse: Eagle standing left, head right, holding wreath in beak; c/m: laureate head of Septimius Severus right, within circular incuse
    Reference: MacDonald 544/2; Anokhin 618a; for c/m: Howgego 63
    Other: 12h … sweet tan-brown surfaces
    Ex Lanz 121 (22 November 2004)

Kings of Borp Eagle counterstamp.jpg

:rolleyes:

yup, that's an awesome Sep-Sev counterstamp tossed-in for bonus points!!

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I told you once, but I'll tell you again. That's a right purdy coin. It's almost as if it never left the mint.

swamp yankee and TIF like this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oh yah, here is my 2nd cool example ... ummm, but it's nuthin' compared to that new OP-Ace that you've scored (again, that baby is delicious!!)

Kings of the Bosporus Sauromates II Æ26 Athena

Date: 174-210 AD
    Size: 26.6 mm
    Weight: 9.55 grams
    Obverse: Diademed bust right
    Reverse: Athena seated left on throne, holding patera in right hand. Counterstamp of the bust of Septimius Severus
    Reference: SNG 67-68

King of Bos Saur II a.jpg

Oh, and again => I'm posting another very sweet Sep-Sev counterstamp (yah, I'm a sucker for counterstamps!!)

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Well of course you can, Steve-O! The more the merrier :). Great countermarks on those bronzes... man, I need to get a countermarked coin.

I have one other Bosporan coin, Sauromates I.

[​IMG]
    KINGS OF BOSPORUS, Sauromates I
    CE 93/4-123/4
    AE 48 units (29mm, 10.84 gm, 12h)
    Obv: diademed, draped bust of Sauromates left
    Rev: Nike advancing left, holding wreath, flanked by mark of value M-H, all within wreath
    Ref: MacDonald 397/2

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Unbelievable coin! Well done, it is amazing. AND, being Electrum...I am wanting Electrum, but have none, nor do I have any from Bosporus. Congratulations! You be huntin' with the Hounds fer them thar coins!

TIF likes this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

very nice => hmmm wow, the Kings of the Bosporus "ROCKED" ... eh?

Theodosius and TIF like this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Hillbilly electrum! What a great catch, TIF. Absolutely beautiful coin with a lovely colour.

TIF likes this.
  11. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow TIF, did you make that coin, your sure getting good at it.:) JK what a gem. total winner!

Alegandron, TIF and stevex6 like this.
  12. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Fantastic coin, but I can't be too happy about it as I now have the Beverly Hillbillies theme song stuck in my head...

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Sep...

Mikey Zee, swamp yankee and stevex6 like this.
  14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

So at 19mm and almost 8 grams, that's a pretty chubby little coin. How about a side shot?

swamp yankee likes this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Here's a side view. Measured with a transparent rule, it is right at 2 mm thick at fattest edge of the flan (slightly uneven strike). If I can find my calipers I'll give a more precise measurement.

BosporusEbsenSideView.jpg

16. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Great shot!

TIF likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

'm new at ancients but that is one fine coin!

TIF likes this.
  18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Love the side view TIF

swamp yankee and TIF like this.
  19. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Well TIF you know how I feel about your coin. I would like it more if it were mine.

I really love the font of the Greek on these coins. The coin is quite appealing to the eye and the fields are nice, clear and flat.

TIF likes this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hello TIF ... again, that sweet lil' OP-goldie is a fantastic addition (yummy)

Curious? => any idea how many "units" it represents?

For example, my first example is 144 units and your second example is 48 units ... yah, I was merely curious if your new sweetie was 1M or lotsa units?

thanks, either way

I like you

:D:D

TIF likes this.
  21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I really have no idea who developed the denomination nomenclature for these :oops:. However, I suspect that in the case of your first example, "144" might be a typo? If my bronze at 29 mm and 10.84 gms is called a "48 unit", maybe yours at 25 mm and 9.64 gms is a 44 unit, rather than 144? Or maybe my description is wrong. Anyone have MacDonald's book?

We should just state the diameter and forget about calling it something fancy :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    Jwt708 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted