Website that shows all Classic U.S. 50¢ commems WITH pictures?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dougmeister, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

There are plenty that list them... most hyperlink to pages on that site or other sites that have photos... but I'm looking for a place that has pictures of each year/type all on the same page.

For example, I like Littleton Coin's depiction of U.S. Coinage; you can see it all in one place.

I do NOT like NGC's attempt because there are no pictures on the main page.

Picky, I know.

But it must exist out there somewhere. Anyone know of any?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Heritage Auctions' archive. Membership is free and does not require financial info. It's not all on one page, but that's because the images are too huge to do that with. In addition, you get real-world pricing data for actual sales, the moment they sell.

Look at the inconvenience of searching multiple pages as the price of such a waterfall of data. If I'm online with numismatics in mind, I have a Heritage tab permanently open. I have learned as much about grading, pricing and variety attribution from Heritage in the last 10 years as I have from all other sources combined, and I do not understand why they are not the gold standard source for any numismatic researcher. As long as you're as capable of also learning from the mistakes and things you'll disagree with in slabs there....this is numismatics, it's subjective in many cases and there's never a time when everyone's happy. :)

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Dougmeister

If you're a member of the NGC forums, you might try to get in touch with Mark Feld. Several years ago, he brokered a deal with some partners for the purchase of a complete collection (144 pieces) of the best-known toned specimens. It was in the 7-figure range. The set was eventually broken up and sold, but the images of the complete set were posted online for quite a while. Perhaps Mark would know if the photos are still available.

Chris

Stevearino likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Dougmeister

I forgot to mention that Kevin Flynn's book, "The Authoritative Reference on Commemorative Coins, 1892-1954" was published in 2008. Besides the images, it includes details of the major varieties and the history behind each coin.

Chris

6. Dougmeister

@cpm9ball thanks! I sent him a message and we'll see what happens.

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'd check out the NGC and PCGS registries. That is a great place to check out some really nice coins.

8. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

Have you checked out PCGS coinfacts? It's now free to access.

Dougmeister and jester3681 like this.
  9. Dougmeister

Yes, but thanks for the reminder.

They come REALLY close, but I would have to go into each link, copy the picture, and paste them all into a Word document.

Granted, that's only 15 minutes of work, but I was hoping that someone had already done that.

Draft saved Draft deleted