Weak Die?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by PGND3R, Oct 19, 2020.

1. PGND3R

PGND3R New Member

Pulled from circulation. Looks like the last number of the date and the "LI" in liberty is weak. Also the first part of the motto, "IN" and "WE" are weak. The back looks normal. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The die was not weak. The coin shows evidence of being weakly struck which can be caused by several things including something between the die and planchet. I'll let others list some of the other reasons coins can look as this.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Die Deterioration issue.. Not a weak strike error.

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

6. PGND3R

PGND3R New Member

Thanks fellas. I have a few "oddball" coins I just wanted a second opinion on. Here is another one, a 2004-D Texas quarter with a rusty tone to it. Not sure if someone messed with it or if it came out of Denver like this. Could have been in a fire at some point?

Attached Files:

7. Insider

I disagree. While you are the long-time resident error expert on CT, I learned that coins as this were either struck on planchets that were out of tolerance, dies that were not set the correct distance apart, or strike thru issues. I have never heard of a deteriorated die that showed a flat surface with no evidence of radial wear. Please explain the reason for your opinion. Thanks in advance.

Another person here does also. Not saying we are correct either so teach us.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  8. paddyman98

Early signs of die deterioration starting on the lettering. Nothing to affect the field yet.
    Thanks for sharing your opinion.

9. Insider

I am not being sarcastic and appreciate your reply. Unfortunately, you have not satisfied my question. If this is early die deterioration how does that explain all the detail missing. Should this be at least late stage?

BTW, we STILL don't agree with your opinion. Hopefully other error experts will see this thread. Until then, do you have a link we could check to verify your opinion?

10. Insider

Is this what you are saying...die deterioration from ErrorRef.Com?

[​IMG]

The lower half of this 2015-P dime shows the effects of design-devouring die wear. The letters of IN GOD WE TRUST are quite thin, while the date and mintmark have nearly disappeared.

11. paddyman98

I never stated you were being sarcastic.
    And thanks.. That's all for now.

Hey. I like that last post!

12. Insider

paddyman98, posted: "I never stated you were being sarcastic."

Of course you did not. You and I have a history. I was careful to post my question in a very nice tone :angelic: rather than my usual response.

"And thanks.. That's all for now."

That's too bad. :( IMO, the characteristic on the OP's coin does not look like the image I posted.

13. paddyman98

I'm out shopping with my wife.. She's getting annoyed that I'm on Cointalk.. I meant I can't look for information at the moment :hilarious:

Over and out!

14. Insider

I think many of us know the feeling.

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted