We Can All Use a Little Happiness

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Apr 3, 2020.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

In the modern era, our governments have many ways of easing the public's concerns in times of crisis. As my latest coin shows, so too did the Roman imperial regime.

T142best.jpg
    Titus
    Æ Sestertius, 27.89g
    Rome mint, 80-81 AD
    Obv: IMP T CAES VESP AVG P M TR P P P COS VIII; Head of Titus, laureate, bearded, l.
    Rev: FELICIT AVGVST; S C in field; Felicitas stg. l., with sceptre and cornucopiae
    RIC 142 (C). BMC 157. BNC -.
    Acquired from Holding History, eBay, March 2020. Ex Stephen Album, Auction 35, 12-14 September 2019, lot 532. Formerly in NGC holder #5768192-010, with grade VF, strike 4/5, surface 2/5.

In the late spring or early summer of 80 AD Rome suffered a disastrous fire and soon afterwards a devastating plague (perhaps typhus or smallpox). Suetonius tells us that the pestilence was 'unprecedented' and Eusebius claims 10,000 perished. Felicitas, the personification of happiness and prosperity, was greatly needed by both the emperor Titus and the Roman people. This coin struck sometime in 80 or 81 (Titus did not renew the consulship in 81) advertises her blessings through the emperor. This was a fairly popular type during the reign and likely was struck to ease any public anxiety over the recent tragedies. Despite being common, it is missing from the extensive Paris collection.

The left facing portraits struck in this bronze issue tend to be in a slightly finer style than the right facing ones. Perhaps there was one gifted engraver who preferred his portraits facing left?

Feel free to post your 'happy' coins.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

2563 Tacitus kl.jpg

"Happiness of the Century"
    Tacitus 275-276, Antoninianus Siscia. IMP C M CLA TACITVS AVG, Radiate cuirassed bust right/ FELICITAS S-AECVLI, Felicitas standing left, sacrificing from patera over altar, and holding caduceus. Officina V. 21.9 mm, 3.9 gr.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

First, let me point out that I do not dislike Flavians but I don't specialize in them so my examples will be Severan. For this thread, I'll show two Julia Domna, "Emesa' mint denarii from the "Happiness is a full shopping cart" series. Today's "situation" in grocery stores
    rk5380b01570lg.jpg rk5390b01569lg.jpg

https://www.sapiens.org/column/curiosities/ancient-roman-bathrooms/
    Yes, I know those two things sticking up in the second photo are grain stalks but after you read the link above you may see the need to hoard toilet paper was not understood in Rome. Someone of the Domna class would have a servant dedicated to cleaning the Imperial bottom but a sponge on a stick was high tech for the day.
    [​IMG]
    I'm wondering how many who took Latin in school learned the word 'tersorium'.

5. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

6. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Here's a fairly new acquisition. The reverse is a fairly common one for the early Empire. Spes was the goddess of Hope. She was so popular that she received private devotion as well as the State cult.

Rom_Sesterz_von_Trajanus_Rs-removebg-preview.png

Trajan (Augustus)
    Coin: Brass Sestertius
    IMP CAES NERVA TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR COS V P P - Laureate head right with drapery on left shoulder.
    SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI S-C - Spes standing left with flower & raising hem of skirt.
    Exergue:

Mint: Rome (103-111 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 26.55g / 32mm / 6h
    References:
    RIC II 519
    Cohen 459
    BMC 810
    Banti 172
    Provenances:
    Andre Cichos
    Acquisition/Sale: cichosgladiator11 eBay $0.00 01/20
    Notes: Jan 27, 20 - The Gary R. Wilson Collection

7. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Fortunately, happy times are back (assuming you consider war, violence and bloodshed fun):
    [​IMG]
    Constantius Gallus
    Caesar, A.D. 351-354
    (Bronze) AE2
    Constantinople mint, first series
    Obv: D N FL CL CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES
    Rev: FEL TEMP R-EPARATIO - Soldier spearing fallen enemy horseman
    CONSA in exergue; Γ[dot] in left field
    RIC 107
    22mm, 4.7g

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Here's my Felicitas, please excuse grumpy grandma on the obverse...

Julia Maesa - Saecvli ex Kelly ex Elveden Hoard 2995.jpg JULIA MAESA
    AR Denarius. 3.08g, 19.5mm. Rome mint, AD 220-222. RIC 271; Cohen 45. O: IVLIA MAESA AVG, draped bust right, hair bound in a bun at the back. R: SAECVLI FELICITAS, Felicitas standing facing, her head to left, holding patera over burning altar in her right hand and long caduceus in her left; to right, star of eight rays.
    Ex Michael Kelly Collection; Ex Elveden Hoard, Suffolk, found 23 March 1953 (Numismatic Chronicle 14, pages 204-208, 1 of 7 in hoard)

As far as the idea of happiness goes, here are two variations on the theme. Hilaritas...

Hadrian - Sestertius Hilaritas 1114.jpg HADRIAN
    AE Sestertius. 20.76g, 33mm, Rome mint, AD 128-132. RIC II 970c. O: HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS P P, laureate bust right, draped on left shoulder. R: HILARITAS P R, Hilaritas standing left, holding long palm branch upright in right hand and cornucopiae in left; at her feet, on left, a small naked boy standing right, touching palm; on right, a small girl standing left, touching dress of Hilaritas; COS III in exergue, S - C in field.

And Laetitia...

Gordian III - Ant Laetitia ex Michael Kelly 3001.jpg GORDIAN III
    AR Antoninianus. 5.64g, 25.5mm x 22.7mm. Rome mint, AD 241-243. RIC IV 86. O: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, radiate, draped, cuirassed bust right. R: LAETITIA AVG N, Laetitia standing left, holding wreath in extended right hand and anchor set on ground in left hand.
    Ex Michael Kelly Collection

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I contracted Typhus when I was a early teen. It is horrible, I remember the fever and agony to this day.

Felicitas
    RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AE Dupondius Felicitas stdg caduceus cornucopia sinister left.jpg
    RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AE Dupondius Felicitas stdg caduceus cornucopia sinister left

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Septimius Severus 3.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COSII - Laureate head right
    REVERSE: FELICITAS TEMPOR - Grain ear between crossed cornucopia
    Struck at Emesa, 194-195 AD
    2.3g, 17mm
    RIC 374a
    Julia Mamaea 2.jpg

JULIA MAMAEA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IVLIA MAMAEA AVG, diademed and draped bust right
    REVERSE: FELICITAS PVBLICA, Felicity seated left, holding caduceus and cornucopia
    Struck at Rome, 230 AD
    2.9g, 21mm
    RIC 338
    Philip I 9.jpg
    PHILIP I
    AR Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG, radiate draped & cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: FELICITAS TEMP, Felicitas standing left with caduceus & cornucopiae
    Rome mint: AD 246 (5th Issue, 1st Officina)
    3.5g, 24mm
    RIC IViii, 31, page 72 - Cohen 43
    Vespasian 10.jpg VESPASIAN
    Æ Dupondius
    OBVERSE: IMP CAES VESP AVG P M T P COS V CENS, radiate head left
    REVERSE: FELICITAS PVBLICA S-C, Felicitas standing facing, head left, holding caduceus & cornucopiae
    Struck at Rome, 74AD
    10.2g, 28mm
    RIC 716, (RIC [1962] 555), Cohen 152, BMC 698
    Ex: J.Q. Adams

11. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Spes? What's that lifting her own skirt all about? When I tried it I found I had to keep signing a register afterwards.

Pellinore likes this.
  12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Volusian. Felicitas Pvblica

Volusian (251-253 A.D.)

AE Sestertius, 29 mm 16 grams, Rome mint

Obverse: IMP CAE C VIB VOLVSIANO AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right

Reverse: FELICITAS PVBLICA S-C, Felicitas standing left, leaning on column, holding caduceus and sceptre.

Reference:

RIC 251a, Cohen 35, Sear 9786.

volusian.jpg

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Artistic conventions prescribed attributes of the personifications. Spes wears a long but diaphanous dress which needed to be lifted up to avoid dragging on the ground. This same action pulled the thin fabric against her legs which can be seen through the fabric on many representations. This 'branch mint or barbarous' Claudius sestertius even shows the importance if these conventions as well as her holding the flower.
    rb1060bb1042.jpg

14. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Alessandro VI 1492-1503
    AV Fiorino di camera ND Roma Mint
    Papal States
    Spanish born Rodrigo Borgia, was Pope when Columbus reached America in 1492, he had four children, Lucretia and Caesare the most famous. He also had lots of girlfriends, loved his wine and having lavish banquets. He had to put up with the French invading Italy under Charles VIII, also a troublemaker named Savanarola, who ended up being burned on the stake.
    Pope and latest girlfriend/ from series. 8f03ca70cee77a51fe3e151aad50249c.jpg web_borgias07rv_1392856cl-8.jpg

15. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

A Spes:

Herennius Etruscus Caesar, AR Antoninianus, Obv. Q HER ETR MES DECIVS NOB C, radiate draped bust right/ Rev. SPES PVBLICA, Spes advancing left, raising skirt & holding flower, RIC IV-3 149, RSC IV 38. 22 mm., 4.37 g.

Herennius Etruscus - Spes (1024x489).jpg

[I thought at first that the very anthropomorphic flower Spes holds was some sort of goddess or other entity with wings, until I remembered that she always holds a flower.]

A Hilaritas:

Julia Domna AR Denarius 208 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right, IVLIA AVGVSTA/ Rev. Hilaritas standing left holding palm branch & cornucopiae, two naked children at her feet, HILA-RITAS. RIC IV-1 557, RSC III 79, Sear RCV II 6587. 19.39 mm, 3.25 g.

Julia Domna Hilaritas - new jpg version.jpg

[I'm afraid that Julia Domna has a very sour-looking expression, even for her!]

And a few examples of Felicitas:

Caracalla AR Denarius. Obv. Laureate, youthful draped bust right, ANTONINVS PIVS AVG/ Rev. Felicitas standing left holding caduceus & cornucopiae, FELICITAS AVGG. RIC IV-1 127, RSC III 64, Sear RCV II 6799, BMCRE 276. 19 mm., 3.2 g.

Caracalla - youthful.jpg

Aelius Caesar AR Denarius, 137 AD. Obv. AELIVS CAESAR, bare head right / Rev. TR POT COS II, Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and cornucopiae. RSC II 50, RIC II Hadrian 430 (1926 ed.), Sear RCV II 3973.18 mm., 2.70 g.

Aelius Caesar denarius jpg version.jpg

Trebonianus Gallus, AR Antoninianus. 251-253 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, IMP CAE C VIB TREB GALLVS AVG/ Rev. Felicitas standing left, leaning against column, holding short caduceus and transverse scepter, FELICITAS PVBLICA. RIC IV-3 34a, RSC IV 41. Scarce. 22mm, 3.46g.

Trebonianus Gallus - Felicitas jpg version.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  16. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Nice specimens, all...& keeping with the title theme, it's interesting how human nature hasn't changed much in times of "trouble"...:(

for example, instead of accomplishing things we love/need to do now that we have all this available time, we lament that we actually have this extra time...just the same human nature, still...:smug:

Just the other day, my wife complained that I don't buy her flowers...but quite frankly (& honestly), I didn't even know she sold flowers! :D

7Calbrey, panzerman and NewStyleKing like this.
  17. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Going to the toilet in ancient Rome.

Alegandron, PlanoSteve and panzerman like this.
  18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The more FELICITAS issues, the worse the situation -- or so it was for Trebonianus Gallus, anyway.

I like Felicitas' ponytail on this one.

[​IMG]
    Trebonianus Gallus, AD 251-253.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 3.43 g, 20.4 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, AD 252.
    Obv: IMP CAE C VIB TREB GALLVS, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: FELICITAS PVBLICA, Felicitas standing left, leaning on column, holding caduceus in right hand and transverse scepter in left hand.
    Refs: RIC 34A; Cohen 41; RCV 9630; Hunter 15.

Draft saved Draft deleted