"WCT PORTSMOUTH VA" Counterstamp

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by YoloBagels, Aug 19, 2020.

1. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I bought this large cent for a few dollars at a coin shop a few months ago. It's an 1839 largie that's seen quite a lot of wear, but I still love it for it's stamp.

"WCT PORTSMOUTH VA"

I did some research and a handful of large cents with this stamp exist, but noone who I've seen so far actually knows by who/why they were produced; it is also not in any of the catalogs that I have access to. If you know what this is from please don't be afraid to share, even if this post is old.

WCTporat.png

tommyc03 and Collecting Nut like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

In my interest I've found that initials are hard to get information on, at least harder than a name but not impossible. Hopefully some member will be able to help. At least you know the area it came from. Lol Very nice and interesting.

Inspector43 and YoloBagels like this.
  4. YoloBagels

The W C T is on all examples I've been able to find. Identifiable or not it's a really cool piece imo.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I definitely add it to my collection so I glad you've got it in yours.

YoloBagels likes this.
  6. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Cool find at a bargain price! I have one of these c/s's on an 1828 cent. The Brunk catalog # is T-14. There are about 15-20 pieces recorded; all, being stamped large cents. As the latest dated coin is 1852, their likely issue was during that decade.

While this c/s has yet to be positively attributed, a few potential issuers have come to light. One is the Williamsburg-Chesapeake Turnpike, WTC. Another, more likely possibility, per Mike McAllister, is William C. Tennis who ran a wholesale oyster packing business. Mike thinks this to be a shucker token! This may be the same Wm. C. Tennis, born 1813, who was a ship's captain. I'll see if I can do some more digging on this guy ....

ksparrow and scottishmoney like this.
  7. YoloBagels

Thank you for the info! I don't have a copy of the Brunk catalog so my referencing for counterstamps goes as far as google and NNP can take me. Glad to hear that there are several references/examples other than mine. Some of your threads were helpful when I was doing research for my first presentation (on counterstamps) a while back; thank you again.

8. ExoMan

ExoMan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kindly reply, YOLO.

While it generally helps for c/s collectors to have the Brunk book, the Rulau books are good, too. They both cover and picture all the "classic" long-documented c/s's. There are far more unattributed c/s's out there than even listed, unattributed ones. Guys like Bruce and me much enjoy solving a mystery and attaching history to these maverick c/s curiosities.

I'd encourage any serious c/s collector to at least purchase a cheaper Rulau token catalog, 3rd or 4th edition. The twenty year old catalog prices will at least give one a sense of relative rarity. Another good source of c/s info are online auction archives, like Stacks, Heritage, etc.

Keep it in mind that there are many misattributed c/s's out there. Some older catalog listings are wrong, and many are flimsy, if not whimsical, at best. The authors, Brunk & Rulau, depended largely upon hundreds of contributors, some of whom were lacking in due diligence as regards doing what I call "prejudicial research."

Draft saved Draft deleted