Way outside of my collecting pattern but...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

This one is not even close to my collecting area but i loved it when I saw it so I bought it. I love the eagle and dolphin reverse...such a cool image. I also like the portrait of a young Apollo. Yes the coin is off centre but that is okay by me.

The other part I love is the provenance. First, it was part of the William Stancomb collection. That on its own is pretty cool. Second it is a published coin. It was published in SNG XI. This volume contains coins from the William Stancomb collection. In fact one reference for the coin is Stancomb 167. Lastly, this coin is a hoard coin. It was part of the Fedesti hoard.

All in all I think this is a pretty cool coin.

Hint, if you like this coin read the attribution because there are more coins from the Stancomb collection available and this is a really interesting provenance.

Moesia, Istros Æ18. Late 4th - early 3rd centuries BC. Laureate head of Apollo right / IΣTPIH above sea-eagle on dolphin left, I below tail. SNG Stancomb 167 (this coin); HGC 3.2, 1814. 3.66g, 18mm, 12h.
    Very Fine.
    From the William Stancomb Collection; this coin published in Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Great Britain, Volume XI, The William Stancomb Collection of Coins of the Black Sea Region (Oxford, 2000);
    Acquired from a 1930s collection, April 1978;
    Ex: Fedesti Hoard.
    Ex: Roma Numismatics

Istros.jpg

thejewk, Ed Snible, Sulla80 and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Neat coin.

Orfew likes this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Very nice. Much scarcer than the inverted head issues from that city.

Orfew likes this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great catch on the AE... nice looking little guy, @Orfew !

You need to keep drifting a bit... kinda fun seeing the huge variety of cool Ancients out there. :)

I have an inverted head. I agree with @medoraman ... I would like to get this coin without the DoubleHead... always kinda creepy to me...

But, as with most coins, I always seem to like the "B"-Side of the record.

I always liked my Eagle carrying off a DOLPHIN!

upload_2020-9-6_12-20-29.png
    Moesia Istros AR Drachm 19mm 5.9g 4th C BCE Facing male hds inverted - Sea Eagle dolphin K Rausch 19 17

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    thejewk, Bing, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted