way off center strike!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by HookFynn, Nov 8, 2019.

1. HookFynn

HookFynn Member

D7907493-5122-436D-B5A8-4D619093D9AB.jpeg D78BC475-C04F-4CB8-BA89-F7258FDF43AF.jpeg co-worker who knows i'm a coin nerd found this yesterday in the coinstar reject bin. any idea it's value? sorry the pics aren't the best.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Worth? $4.00 - $6.00

Kevin Mader and HookFynn like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Hadn't seen your answer Paddy and $5.00 is running through me faster than I can type.

Kevin Mader, HookFynn and paddyman98 like this.
  5. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

6. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

Beautiful find! For the life of me I just can't understand why these coins aren't worth more. I asked all of my FB friends if they had any coins and one girl sent me a picture of a dime that was way off like that. I told her I'd give her $20 for it. Yes I know was way over paying for it. Then she said she would take 10k, 10 large, or simply 10,000 for it. I didn't respond!

Randy Abercrombie and HookFynn like this.
  7. HookFynn

HookFynn Member

i'm with you. i don't understand why but it is what it is. still very very cool to have. i threw it in a sleeve for him.

2manyhobbies likes this.
  8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Supply is good and demand is low. I think the ones with dates can bring a bit larger premium. All depends who is buying.

Kevin Mader and HookFynn like this.
  9. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

There was a thread for similar coin published here a week or so ago. What typically sells for around $7 at an LCS I frequent is one with a date (less without a date or for coins that are not within a 30-60% off center range). Dated off center cents go for $2-5. The LCS sells a bunch of off center cents they have stored in a coffee can for $1-2. Perhaps that price is lower than other places, as alurid suggests, supply and demand. But they price their cents for about the same as what they sell for on an auction board members sell theirs for. I must admit that I was originally surprised, but I got over that after buying a number of off center coins over the years. I don't think I've spent more than $7 for one in that time (perhaps on a dime).

HookFynn likes this.
  10. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I had a couple for sale on ebay and they brought around the $5 mark. The date makes it go for more and the less you can see of the date and still make it out will increase the value as well.

HookFynn and Kevin Mader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted