Water damaged / rusted Morgans (how to restore)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GeorgeM, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

One of the reasons I suggested lemon juice, it is mildly acidic and I think it has some complexing action also. Also, phosphoric acid isn't really that strong and is the primary constituent in the rust-removing Naval Jelly.

-jeffB likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I treated another Morgan (an 1889s) with the remaining acetone. It appeared to be covered in soot, so I was hoping to observe better results with removing an organic stain.

Here's the before pics:

20191105_195102.jpg 20191105_195108.jpg

And after 1 hour of acetone immersion:

20191105_205226.jpg 20191105_205232.jpg

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I got a batch of Morgan and Peace dollars that had that same "sooty" look, and got the same (lack of) results with acetone. It looks like a foreign substance, but it's apparently really just ugly toning.

GeorgeM likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Naval jelly, which Jim mentioned in post #4 of this thread, will get the rust off the coins. But I sure wouldn't recommend using it as it will also harm the coins.

Some oils will also help to remove rust, but I wouldn't recommend going that route either. Partially because you then have to clean the coin again to remove the oils, and because the stains will still be there, making it an ineffective method.

Kentucky and GeorgeM like this.
  6. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

I think a lesson in picture cropping might be on the horizon.

dwhiz likes this.
  7. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Anytime I want to clean silver I wet the coin well, sprinkle on some plain baking soda and gently rub between thumb and forefinger for a couple of minutes and then rinse. Repeat if needed. Eliminates tarnish and many stains and I’ve seen no damage

8. GDJMSP

Trust me, the damage is there. You just need to learn how to recognize it when ya see it.

BadThad, GeorgeM and -jeffB like this.
  9. -jeffB

Baking soda is still abrasive. Rub any abrasive against a coin and you'll leave tracks.

10. UncleScroge

What about silver cleaner?

11. -jeffB

Different silver cleaners contain different things, but if it's "polish", it has abrasives.

Even if the product doesn't have abrasives, rubbing a coin will grind it with any debris that was on the coin, or on your hands, or on the tool you rub with. That's why the standard advice is DON'T RUB COINS WITH ANYTHING.

Proper cleaning almost always means dipping the coin in a solvent (water, acetone, xylene), or (very carefully) a chemical cleaner, then gently rinsing it. Ideally, the only thing that should come in contact with the coin is liquid or gas. In practice, of course, you have to hold the coin -- by the edges, please, and gently but firmly.

BadThad likes this.
  12. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Absolutely terrible advice. If you're a new collector reading this thread, DO NOT follow this recommendation. Any coin rubbed with baking soda will be easily identified as cleaned and will have a reduced value

14. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

I think you payed what theyre worth. as said before you don't want to rub them with anything but how much would you want to spend on trying to restore them. got to be honest my first thought was use CLR but im not even sure id try that.

15. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

If there is anything to be learned in this forum it is be careful on how to use the terms Investment and Collectible. Never clean coins or don't mention it in here, use cents instead of penny. These Gents are telling what or how to care for your coins and handling them like a new born. or mention you tube that's ultimate death sentence..

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    roygpa likes this.
  16. GeorgeM

The distilled water is working, albeit very slowly. Here are the results after 3 days of soaking. I thought nothing was happening, but quite a bit of rust came iff on the drying towel I sat this on (no rubbing).

17. GeorgeM

Pics didn't upload properly, so I'll try again. This is the distilled water after 3 days.

Attached Files:

18. UncleScroge

Lookin' better!

19. GDJMSP

How much attention have you ever paid to rust on iron or steel George ? And/or trying to remove it ?

If you have ever paid any attention at all really you should have noticed that as rust progresses some it, often even a lot, become soft, flaky, powdery in nature and it is easily removed. Sometimes even simply blowing on it will cause it to fall away.

Then consider this, this is what you described in your post that started this thread -

My point here is that when the rust was deposited on the coins, the soft, flaky, powdery bits of it was washed away from that pipe by the water and then deposited on the coins, where it then dried and adhered to the coins. So yeah, it makes perfect sense that using water will then cause some of it to go back into solution and come off the coins. I mean that's how it got there to begin with. But only the loose parts are gonna be carried away by water, the rest will remain. Unless and until it is removed by something that will dissolve it and remove it.

The trick is to use something that will not harm the coin while it's doing that. And to be honest with ya, the only thing I'm aware of that will do that is coin dip.

At the same I understand your desire and maybe even need to do your own experiments - nothing wrong with that, it's often the best way to learn.

GeorgeM likes this.
  20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

Insider and BadThad like this.
  21. UncleScroge

So what exactly is "coin dip"?

Draft saved Draft deleted