Water damaged / rusted Morgans (how to restore)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GeorgeM, Nov 1, 2019.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I recently picked up a few silver dollars from a hoard that was damaged when a water pipe leaked on them (possibly for quite some time). Most appear to have excellent detail, but the unsightly rust spots or corrosion put them in the "cull" price category.

I was thinking this would be a good group to try a few restoration techniques out on. Don't start an all caps angry reply yet - I'm not planning to acid treat or whizz them!

What would you recommend? I've got an ultrasonic appliance I use for cleaning my eyeglasses - would short runs in there with tap or distilled water be a place to start? Or, do you think acetone would be the ideal way to remove rust spots?

Since I only have $18 apiece into them, I would rather try to bring these back into collectability than to damage a more valuable coin down the road learning the same techniques.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GeorgeM

A few more "before" pictures:

Attached Files:

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I would start with the least intrusive way possible. Maybe a soak in distilled water. Then move up to acetone. The ultrasonic may work but I wonder what kind of damage is underneath those spots. At $18, I'd try all three. Why not?

wxcoin, Inspector43 and GeorgeM like this.
  5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It actually looks like a iron pipe leak dripped on them and mainly a surface stain. I think your best bet is to go the acid dip, but dilute it 1 dip : 10 water, so you can watch and yank the coin out when at an end point, rinse well. With luck, the iron might come off. The dip if done lightly has a chance to retain some original cartwheel.

If it , nor nothing else helps, phosphoric acid ( Naval jelly of Rust remover) might do it, but it will give a duller surface.

Yes,First try water , soapy water, acetone or 90% isopropyl alcohol from Walmart medical area. Rinse well.

Jim

Mountain Man, GeorgeM and furryfrog02 like this.
  6. GeorgeM

How long would you soak in distilled water? I'm worried about causing more rust rather than removing what's there.

I tried an ultrasonic vibe treatment on one coin (the 1886 (p) that appears to have some chemical residue between 10:00 & 11:00 on the obverse). Less than 5 minutes was enough to remove about 60% of the rust, but it seems to have made the fields markedly duller:

Attached Files:

7. desertgem

Unless it is a silver covered steel fake, I would not think any more would appear. There really should be no rust on silver dollars unless it was a metal contaminant. Neither silver nor copper has a colored compound like that. IMO. Jim

BadThad, I_like_Morgans and GeorgeM like this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I would try melting them and buying new ones.

9. GeorgeM

Doesn't copper react with water by forming greenish tarnish / verdigris? And I thought silver formed silver sulfide from even the trace amounts of sulfur found in the air (or distilled water)?

10. GeorgeM

Attached Files:

11. desertgem

Yes, but the orange-brown color shown on the coins is none of those colors. Jim

GeorgeM likes this.
  12. desertgem

I would save melting for the last resort myself, and I own a kiln :) Jim

13. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Whatever you try, please post the results. Include the method tried. Thank you.

DEA, pantherdev, JeffC and 1 other person like this.
  14. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

Looks like the "acidic" rust dripping on the coin obverse/rever has already done metal damage. Bonnet hair end / Hair V and above the date and the reverse looks like a piece of the iron is still there on right wreath. The Brown will probably mostly come off, its the black that is doing/done its damage.
    Don't think anything will have a good out come but good luck anyway good experiment

longshot and GeorgeM like this.
  15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'm inclined to agree with Jim's suggestion here.

Yes, but it's important to understand that it's not something that happens right away, it takes long term exposure to moisture for verdigris to form.

There have been millions of copper, silver, and gold coins rinsed in distilled water with absolutely no harm done to the coin.

This rust on your coins is from another source and is on the surface, Morgan dollars do not, cannot form rust by themselves. That said, there is a possibility that there is some corrosion in the silver underneath the rust. But there is also a good possibility there isn't any corrosion under the rust. That's why I'd go with Jim's suggestion and dip the coins. It will remove the rust if done properly. And only then will you know what you've got left - what the condition of the coins really is.

Mainebill, GeorgeM and Oldhoopster like this.
  16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm thinking the coins were stored in 2X2s with staples and moisture over the years, turned the coins ugly. I would try a weak dip on the worst one and see the results.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  17. GeorgeM

Another 10 minutes of ultrasonic cleaning with a few drops of mild soap (without any abrasives) led to this result (about 90% of the rust removed, but the chemical stain / corrosion spot looks worse without the rust to hide it).

Attached Files:

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't understand these cleaners. What keeps the coin from being rubbed in the process?

GeorgeM likes this.
  19. desertgem

Most devices intended for jewelry use a soft plastic holder, and even these plastics may have a Moh's hardness rating around silver and for sure gold and can produce fine rub, which jewelers can polish. But jewelry and numismatics goals are somewhat different. I do not use mine for uncirculated coins. Jim

ldhair likes this.
  20. GeorgeM

The physical contact is from water instead of a rougher surface like a brush or cleaning cloth. Even when laying down flat on a surface, there is water caught between the surfaces and any vibrating parts. There's still some friction on the rims, but, as desertgem mentions, the plastic liner prevents metal on metal rub (if used, which I did on the first cycle, but I removed the plastic cage for the second cycle).

21. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Even if that's true, any abrasive bits shaken loose from the coin (or left over from things you've cleaned previously) can get caught between the coin and the surface, and leave their marks. If I were going to try this, I'd be suspending the coin with plastic tweezers or a soft plastic net.

Draft saved Draft deleted